sump pump....Saber Pit?

Users who are viewing this thread

Cooper

Reaction score
Hello Plumbing Gurus:
I live in Indy and my crawlspace is dry, unless it is exceptionally rainy. We had record-setting rainfall in June (2x avg) and July (almost 3x avg). This led to water trapped on top of the Stego plastic in my encapsulated crawlspace; the only way to remove it was with sponge and bucket (not fun o_O). Even though this is rare, I think it is time to install a sump pump (wired for it in 1968, but never installed). After doing considerable research, I still have a few questions:
1) Since this is not run-off water (gutters new with proper 4' extensions) and only happens rarely, I am convinced it is simply groundwater rising into the crawlspace. For this reason, I think the proper pit is the Saber Pit since it allows water ingress from the water table before it reaches the top of the pit (holes in basin instead of drain lines), yet is designed to keep dirt out. Do you agree this is the one to use? Have any of you had good/bad experiences with this design?
2) The Saber Pit is designed to be installed with a surrounding layer (4") of stones on the bottom and sides to separate sediment and improve water flow. Some suggest 3/4 in. river rock, others just say gravel. Which is correct? Have you ever used a screen/sock around the basin? What about the styrofoam fill designed to go under french drains?
3) The house is a 1650' ranch, rectangular. There are concrete foundation ties that divide the rectangle longways, and separate a square room behind the garage. This results in a crawlspace divided into 3 parts. Will one sump pit drain ground water effectively under the foundation ties from those 3 areas?
4) Check valve: ball-and-spring or flapper? A Univ. of IL professor prefers the flapper, but it looks pretty cheap. Is the ball likely to freeze or become clogged?
5) In order to drain down a steep slope, there will be 10 feet of pipe outside the house. I am planning only two 22.5 degree bends so the pipe remains as empty as possible between cycles. Is there anything else I can do as freeze protection? I am planning a cleanout as soon as the pipe leaves the house in case I need to thaw the pipe with alcohol. Is a cleanout advisable for a sump discharge, and should it be outside so it is accessible?
6) This last one for Master Mark - I live in Hill Valley West, near 135 & Stop 11, inside Marion County. A newly-completed "combined sewer" holding tank has been installed at the water treatment plant on Southport Road (and my sewer bill has tripled). Is mine now a "combined sewer", as defined in the city code, so I may now connect my sump pump to my home drain line?
Thanks very much Terry, and everyone who can offer some wisdom!
Cooper

Reach4

Reaction score
The Saber Pit is designed to be installed with a surrounding layer (4") of stones on the bottom and sides to separate sediment and improve water flow. Some suggest 3/4 in. river rock, others just say gravel. Which is correct?
I would use small pea gravel. Round and small is good for passing water but keeping out the big chunks. The gravel you would use under a foundation or basement floor is crushed stone. It is stronger in compression, but the rounded gravel will pass water better.

Freeze protection. I doubt this is approved by anybody, but I might put a gutter heater strip ( Roof De-Icing Cable Kit) inside my pipe. You could have your underground exit, but you could also have a higher above-ground exit. That should stay empty unless the underground pipe became clogged. It might also be a place to introduce a heater strip.

Cooper

Reaction score
I would use small pea gravel. Round and small is good for passing water but keeping out the big chunks. The gravel you would use under a foundation or basement floor is crushed stone. It is stronger in compression, but the rounded gravel will pass water better.

Freeze protection. I doubt this is approved by anybody, but I might put a gutter heater strip ( Roof De-Icing Cable Kit) inside my pipe. You could have your underground exit, but you could also have a higher above-ground exit. That should stay empty unless the underground pipe became clogged. It might also be a place to introduce a heater strip.

Thanks for your reply, Reach. I won't be able to use pea gravel because the holes in the basin are 1/2 inch, . I will take your advice on the benefits of round gravel, just 3/4 or larger to keep them out of the basin.
My discharge pipe will be entirely above ground. I do like your idea, and may add a pipe-wrap style heater just before it leaves the crawlspace.
Anyone out there with experience using the Saber Pit?

Reach4

Reaction score
I drilled my own numerous 1/4 inch holes, but I was not in the situation of needing to seal so I did not need the other features of your tank. 1/2 inch holes are big.

The more conventional way to gather the water is to feed one or more pipes with holes in gravel horizontally into the sump. Since I was digging through gravel, I had that layer to help deliver water to my sump. If you are not digging into clay, the soil may be plenty permeable for your needs.

I used fiber-filled mortar, if I remember correctly, to connect the sump to the basement floor after the gravel was in place, figuring that it would be less likely to crack. I hope the ground water level is not high while you are digging. If it is, your sump will want to float until you fill it with water.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks