Sump Pump Question

Users who are viewing this thread

Chetwynd

In the Trades
Reaction score
Hi All,

Thanks for reading my post! I have a question about sump pumps. Here in California there's been a ton of rain and a couple of my friends have water under their house in the crawl space and in their basements. I understand how they work, how to plumb them for the most part, etc., but I do have a couple of questions.

So, we dig a hole...what type of bucket do we put the pump in? Does it have to have a sealable top? The only sump buckets I saw at Home Depot are big ones for sewage ejector pumps. They're a little big...as in, they'd require a pretty big hole to be dug.

Second question is, does the ejector line coming out of it have to be sloped down at any point, or should I not worry about this because the check valve will stop it from short-cycling the pump.

Third, I guess since this is a pressurized system I can't use ABS, I have to use PVC, right?

THANK YOU!

Speedbump

Reaction score
The bigger the tank the better. This will keep the pump from short cycling.

A check valve is a must. A sump pump can't make much pressure, so the type of pipe isn't critical.

The highest a sump can push water is around 25/30 feet vertically.

bob...

SumppumpPimp

In the Trades
Reaction score
crawlspaceNewCap.jpg

Try this link: :D http://www.zoeller.com/zcopump/products/homeimprove/crawlspace.htm

We would recommend a check valve and you can use different pipe with this system.

"The highest a sump can push water is around 25/30 feet vertically."

We also have sump pumps that have a shut off head of 137 feet. :cool:

Last edited by a moderator:

Chetwynd

In the Trades
Reaction score
zoeller

yeah that setup is OK, but the catch basin is too small. That thing would be coming on every 5 minutes. Needs more capacity, more depth, bigger overall. let me know when you come up with a bigger basin.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks