Sump Pump Basin and Pump Question

Users who are viewing this thread

Daniel J Driggers

Reaction score
* Back Story *
Hello All I'm new to the forum and generally do my own diy plumbing.
During the last rain storm (basically 5 strait days of rain) my basement flooded on the last day. Perfectly, dry previous to that. I could not find any leaking down my walls or anywhere else that would have let in 10 inches of water. Leading me to think that is came up from the floor around the foundation. I found this odd being that I was under the impression the house had a sump pump and exterior french drains.
* Back Story Over *

I have done quite a bit of research on how these should be installed and no examples say that there should be a 2 inch pipe for the sump pump to discharge into in the basin. Everything I've found says the pumps discharge tube should come out of the top of the basin and go out to daylight with a check valve.

So this leads me to my first question. Is this actually a sump pit? Is it safe to use what I'm assuming to be the 2 inch discharge tube? Is there an easy way to test where the 2 Inch tube is going?

Also i'll apologize before hand if i missed a post. i attempted to do a forum search but really didn't find anything talking about a discharge tube in a sump basin.

Anything else I should check?

Thanks in advance to anyone reading this.

WorthFlorida

Clinical Trail 5th session completed 4/24/24.
Solutions
Reaction score
Your pictures did not load correctly and are not accessible. Sounds like there is no pump at all but a pit with pipes leading into it? If it is an old home the french drain were usually tied to the waste line leading to the city sewer. One of the pipes did lead to the sewer but may have been capped off at one point to meet the new codes. All speculation for now. The find out were it goes you'll need a snake camera.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks