Sub Panel Install Question

Users who are viewing this thread

98ZJUSMC

Reaction score
I am installing a SIEMENS 125AMP capable Sub Panel for 240V baseboard heat and additional/future use 120V circuits I am running in the house. The panel didn't come with a separate ground buss so, I added that. I installed a 100 AMP Breaker to jump the power to the Sub Panel. Two hots to the Breaker and the Ground from the Neutral Buss in the Sub Panel to the bonded buss in the Main Panel.

Since they are separate in the Sub Panel, do I need to ground the ground buss bar to my ground bar outside? I am assuming that grounding it to the Main Panel buss defeats the purpose of separate busses in the Sub Panel.

Thanks!

Reach4

Reaction score
You wire the neutral and protective ground bus bars in the sub panel separately back to the main panel, where they are connected together.

Reach4

Reaction score
K. So, although they are both run to the Main Panel buss, the requirement is two separate wires?
Yes. Ground would be green or bare, and neutral would be white. I am not an electrician.

98ZJUSMC

Reaction score
The ground will be bare. The neutral is 100AMP capable aluminum. Thank you, sir! My brain wasn't comprehending both going back to the Main buss.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks