Studer vent at high altitude.

Users who are viewing this thread

Dberryco

Reaction score
I've tried 3 different studer vents and none are working properly. I'm at 9000 feet elevation and am wondering if that could be the problem as these things might be calibrated for sea level.

Any tips or clues

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
That's a surprise to me! An AAV should normally be fully closed, and only open when there's a suction in the drain line to admit air.

Keep in mind that for one to work, it can't be the ONLY path to open air...there must be an atmospheric vent somewhere in the system for them to work properly.

Smooky

In the Trades
Reaction score
Are you on city sewer or on a septic system? What type of Studor vent have you been using? Are you using a true Studor vent or is another type of Air Admitance Valve (AAV) ? They are not all the same and a studor vent cost 3-5 times more than most other AAV's.

Dberryco

Reaction score
Are you on city sewer or on a septic system? What type of Studor vent have you been using? Are you using a true Studor vent or is another type of Air Admitance Valve (AAV) ? They are not all the same and a studor vent cost 3-5 times more than most other AAV's.

I'm rural and using a septic system. The model is
Studor 20302 Maxi-Vent 3-Inch to 4-Inch Air Admittance Valve

Reach4

Reaction score
http://www.studor.net/maxi-vent

I think you need a real vent. How else will the gasses from decomposition, such as methane or H2S, get out? Right now, the only path would be through your traps and toilet into your house.

Dberryco

Reaction score
http://www.studor.net/maxi-vent

I think you need a real vent. How else will the gasses from decomposition, such as methane or H2S, get out? Right now, the only path would be through your traps and toilet into your house.

I agree a real vent is the solution. Fortunately we don't have any smells. This isn't high on our list as we have limited time to build and are working on our garage. If we could just get it to work til winter when we can't work outside that would be great.

Smooky

In the Trades
Reaction score
You need at least one vent that is open to the outside ,so gases such as methane ,that are created in the septic tank ,can vent out.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks