Stubborn Bathroom Sink Clog -- Power Jetting company or Plumber?

Users who are viewing this thread

Debra Dolcino

Reaction score
We have a totally clogged bathroom sink drain. Strange because it wasn't that slow and suddenly basin fills completely up. Yet not much can slip down the sink since it has that stopper thing on it.

Tub drain has been slow for years, but drains. Toilet overflows from too much tissue now and then. All other drains in the house work great. We are on a septic which we clean regularly.

We tried a plunger, a plastic zip cleaner, drain cleaner about 5x, then finally my husband took the whole trap apart under the sink however there's nothing in there so apparently the clog is in the interior pipe, not the U pipe.
He bought a manual wind up snake and tried and tried to get down deep into the pipe to clean it out, but it hasn't helped.

He's not too much of a handy man so we're thinking of hiring someone. He saw a place in the pennysaver called Electric Snake Sewer and Drain Service who uses a high pressure sewer jet and camera inspection system.
They quoted $175 for the bathroom sink drain. (DH forgot to ask about the tub and toilet) I feel they will give us a discount on additional drains, dh says probably won't.

Should we use ElectricSnake company or a regular plumber? ... or try something else ourselves?

Our other option would to be to call a plumber. My thoughts are that maybe the drain service specializes in drains? and may be better than the plumber... but I don't like the fact that they said that they are not plumbers
but the guy will "probably put the trap back on for us."

The house was built around 1973-75, the pipe is a silver color metal.

Which do you think is the better option and why.

Thank you

Cacher_Chick

Test, Don't Guess!
Reaction score
I don't have any way to tell if the drain cleaning company is reputable or not, that is what businesses like the Better Business Bureau and Angie's List does.

A jetter system is for cleaning the main building drain, which is usually a 4" pipe going from the house to the municipal sewer connection which is often out under the street. They are not going to use a jetter on your clogged sink drain, as it is only 1-1/2 or 2" pipe. They will use a snake or portable rodding machine, and their experience will determine whether they will be able to clear the lines or not.

These days any company that will come and do what they say they will do for less that $200 are offering a bargain.

MACPLUMB

In the Trades
Reaction score
Under the sink pull apart the stopper linkage so you can pull the stopper up and out where you will find a big ball of hair after cleaning
reinstall stopper and linkage back to operating condition
and then and only then you might need some one to run a power snake though the drain

Sylvan

Still learning
Reaction score
I don't have any way to tell if the drain cleaning company is reputable or not, that is what businesses like the Better Business Bureau and Angie's List does.

A jetter system is for cleaning the main building drain, which is usually a 4" pipe going from the house to the municipal sewer connection which is often out under the street. They are not going to use a jetter on your clogged sink drain, as it is only 1-1/2 or 2" pipe.

These days any company that will come and do what they say they will do for less that $200 are offering a bargain.
ll

Not true sorry to say

Jetting is great for soft stoppages such as grease or silt and they are ideal for kitchen lines or laundry sinks using an electric jetter with a flow rate of 1.5 -2 GPM 1250 - 1500 PSI and this is why we have 1/8" diameter hoses available

In the case of a kitchen sink we snake the line to establishment flow then use a water jetter with a decent wet dry next to the drain in case of a back up or overflow

Many times in residential and commercial applications we use the electric jetters indoors to remove soap scum , lint

The problem with grease is if someone uses a cable (snake) it may bore a small hole but leaves lots of residue behind

Jetting scours the lines to restore full flow as originally intended

I Certainly would not use a 1/8 Jetter hose on a 4" line even if it is rated to 4000 PSI as it cannot have enough volume to allow the debris to flow down stream properly

For a bathtub or basin stoppage a snake is the best way to go as normally the sluggish fixture drain is caused by hair

There is also the General ram jet that works wonders on fixture stoppages just use caution when using it

The price they quoted is fair as I charge 4 times more as I just do not water Jet or snake

Think of the jetter as a finishing application to clean the pipes internally

https://www.plumbermag.com/how-to-a...ners/water_ram_hammers_clogs_away_for_plumber

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks