Strange ceiling fan

Discussion in 'Electrical Forum discussion & Blog' started by rayh78, Sep 28, 2012.

1. rayh78

rayh78 Member

Simple enough to just replace the whole ceiling fan but is there an easier fix?

Pull the chain for high goes in one direction. Pull again for medium slowes down and then goes in the other direction.

Does not make any sense to me.

Copacitor? Switch? or replace a 5 year old fan

Any ideas?

Thanks
  2. BobL43

BobL43 DIY Senior Member

It kinda sounds like the capacitor. It should be cheap enough to replace, but if the fan itself is a cheapo, then maybe better to replace it. I'm not even sure if (3) speed ceiling fans all use caps or if they use multiple pole configs that the switch changes from one spped to another. I'd go with the cap if you can find one. Do you have an old analog type ohm meter (with a dial and needle)? If you do, the cap can be checked to see if it is completely open (or shorted out) I would think if it failed and caused the motor to reverse itself, it may have lost its capactance (opened). only my .02.