Stove circuit sleeve question

Discussion in 'Electrical Forum discussion & Blog' started by Ian Gills, Dec 6, 2007.

1. Ian Gills

Ian Gills Senior Robin Hood Guy

At the weekend I successfully rewired my electric stove.

I replaced the 50 amp breaker and upgraded the cable to 3 wire 6 gauge with ground Romex. I installed a 4 conductor receptacle and a new range cord. I disconnected the neutral/ground jumper in the range.

I made the connection to the main panel. I cut the outer sleeve of the new cable away but left a few inches inside the panel. I know most people cut the outer sleeve of cables in the panel right up to the cable clamp.

Am I OK with a little too much sleeve on the cable in the main panel? Or is there a danger I have overlooked?
    Last edited: Dec 6, 2007
  2. Alectrician

Alectrician DIY Senior Member

You are fine. If I have room I leave the sheath a few inches long and mark the circuit's location on them. The reason we cut them short is to be able to manipulate the wires for a clean installation.
  3. 480sparky

480sparky In the Trades

You're fine that way.
  4. Ian Gills

Ian Gills Senior Robin Hood Guy

Thank you. I will sleep at night now.

I did not realize how hard it is to run cable until I did this job. Now I know why rewiring is so expensive. It takes so long to clamp the cable to the joists and heavy gauge cable is....well....heavy.

Not to mention the cost of 6 gauge 3-wire Romex. Over $200 for 100 feet.

Geez.

I took my time, and clamped every 2 feet instead of 4 - less that 12 inches from the panel and receptacle of course, but it took 2 days to run this cable and I did not have any walls to fish through whatsoever (the basement being unfinished). I almost bit off more than I could chew.
    Last edited: Dec 7, 2007