Stinky dishes, PLEASE HELP

Discussion in 'Plumbing Forum, Professional & DIY Advice, Tips & ' started by Mkaufman, Apr 4, 2014.

1. Mkaufman

Mkaufman New Member

4 years ago we had our kitchen remodeled. It was completely gutted. We put in a brand new Bosch dishwasher and brand new everything else. Since that time, we have an on-again, off-again awful odor on our dishes when they come out of the dishwasher. The only constant I can find is that it usually happens more when we have had a lot of rain. I have tried to EVERYTHING including switching out the AAV, cleaning the dishwasher, bleach in the disposal (sometimes I can smell it coming from the sink), lemons, baking soda, even Thrift. I have had countless plumbers tell me nothing is wrong and the appliance repairman. Unfortunately the dishes smell so bad you can't eat off of them. I am at a complete loss!
  2. Reach4

Reach4 Active Member

You don't smell something in the shower?

Does the inside of the dishwasher smell?

If you stopper up the sink drains and put an inch or so of water in the sinks for a while, does the odor go away?

Do your gutters drain away from the house?

Do you have a crawl space?
  3. Mkaufman

Mkaufman New Member

Shower does not smell.

After we run the dishwasher and open it, if the smell is bad u can smell it right away. Throughout the day the inside of the dishwasher does not smell.

Yes, there is no odor when I fill the sink.

Gutters are piped away from house. There is a pipe running directly next to the house right outside of where the dishwasher is.

Yes, we have a crawl space.

Thanks for helping:)
  4. Reach4

Reach4 Active Member

That is interesting. So as I understand, you get an odor from the dishwasher sometimes when you open it, and not others.

If the dishwasher is closed and there is water in the sink, there is no odor.

My reasons for asking about gutters and crawl space was wondering if something was getting wet under the floor and sending odors up. That would occur despite the sink having water in it. So it would seem that the "water seal" situation is not working, and that sewer gasses are able to work their way up from the sewer. I am not a pro, but am just trying to think it through.

I think a photo of the trap area under the sink would be useful to see if there is something that people could identify as a potential cause of your problem.
  5. DonL

DonL Jack of all trades

What model is your dishwasher ?

You should look in the manual and see how to clean out the Food Grinder.

It may have some dead food in it.

Or it may not be pumping out completely.

Good Luck.
  6. Smooky

Smooky Member

This might be where the problem is located. A couple photoes of how it is tied into the plumbing and how the drains run under the sink might be helpfull. Does the drain line from the dish-washer loop up to the top of the cabinet?
  7. Mkaufman

Mkaufman New Member

Here is a picture of the plumbing under the sink. The thing that traps food in the dishwasher has been cleaned multiple times.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Apr 5, 2014
  8. Mkaufman

Mkaufman New Member

9. wondering

wondering New Member

My sister had the same problem with hers, also a Bosch. She was using the dishwasher tablets but switched to Cascade Powder and also changed cycles, maybe to " Auto" instead of what she was using and she hasnt had an odor since. Maybe that cycle gets hotter I am not sure but that and Cascade fixed hers.
  10. Smooky

Smooky Member

Humidity does affect odor so when it rains and the humidity is higher you may notice the odor more. The picture of the plumbing looks good when I invert the screen. I know above you changed the AAV but they are not all created equal and some cost a lot more than others. I like studor vents. If you have some cheap brand I would change it for a studor mini vent.
  11. Gib

Gib New Member

If you ran your hot water only out of faucets and their is no smell follow next suggestion.

Disconnect dishwasher drain hose from food disposal. Cap food disposal outlet opening for dishwasher using hose clamp. 1-1/2" tubular pvc, slip, dishwasher branch tailpiece,(you need to buy) replaces extension piece located between the trap and the food disposal. Run dishwasher.

you should be good.
  12. bluebinky

bluebinky Member

I'm no plumber, but two things look wrong to me. To clarify, is the black thing on the right a disposer?

1) The "trap" is upside down making it useless. There appears to be a direct path for sewer gas to enter the dishwasher and sink.
    2) The drain from the dishwasher should have either a "high loop" or an air gap depending on your local code, to prevent wastewater from backing up into the dishwasher.

Maybe there is more going on that we can't see from the pictures, without being there its hard to tell.
  13. Gib

Gib New Member

the picture is upside down...
  14. bluebinky

bluebinky Member

Doh, I knew that ... now that you mention it.
  15. JerryR

JerryR Member

Turned right sued up

[​IMG]

JR
  16. JerryR

JerryR Member

We had the same issue with a new Samsung dishwasher. We bought it from a big box store. After researching online there were lots of similar complaints. Ours also never dried dishes thoroughly. Sales guy said it had something to due with the European drying process. He said same complaints from customers with LG and Bosch.

We swapped it out for a Kitchenaid and problem solved. No odor and dishes come out dry.

JR
  17. Mkaufman

Mkaufman New Member

I changed it out a couple of days ago. No change to smell though:(
  18. Mkaufman

Mkaufman New Member

I changed out the AAV a couple of days ago. Did not affect smell.

Also, after remodel dishwasher was hooked to the PVC below the garbage disposal, we moved it to connect to the garbage disposal to try and cure the smell problem.
  19. Mkaufman

Mkaufman New Member

We checked crawl space yesterday. Everything looks to b in good order.
  20. Mkaufman

Mkaufman New Member

Thank you for your help. After countless dollars spent and hours of trial and error, this simple solution has helped more than anything else. There is still a slight odor sometimes, but not nearly as bad. Can you please confirm she moved to the "auto" cycle? I just want to make sure I'm not missing anything.

Thank you!