still need reline in my chimney?

Discussion in 'HVAC Heating & Cooling' started by lmei007, Nov 18, 2007.

1. lmei007

lmei007 Member

I am thinking install an insert pellet stove. The saleman keepes telling me I need reline installation (cost extra $1000). I checked my chimney, I think it is in excellent condition with tile lining. Please see the photos named Chimney 1 and Chimney 2 here: http://www.flickr.com/photos/lmei007/?saved=1

What is your opinions? I am new to those kind of things. I need your advice.
    thanks
  2. jimbo

jimbo Plumber

You have to get the manufacturer's spec sheet for the stove. It is quite possible that they specify a stainless steel chimney. Older masonry chimneys may not draw properly on a high efficiency appliance, and the moisture content of the exhause gas may be a problem.
  3. lmei007

lmei007 Member

the stove spec do have three different options:
    A. Direct connect with outside air;
    B. Direct connect without outside air;
    C. Full reline with outside air;

My understanding is if the chimney condition is not good, use option C, otherwise option A and B can be used.

Here is the spec: http://content.hearthnhome.com/downloads/installManuals/man_1200i.pdf

page 14 and 15 specified the installaton.

I think my chimney condition is good, am I right?

thanks
  4. brownizs

brownizs In the Trades

Ask yourself this question "Would it be worth it to risk my families life & health to not reline, or go ahead and spend the cost for the Flue liner." Personally, if it was up to me, I would opt for the Flue relining, due to your flue may not be able to handle the heat from the Pellet stove.
  5. lmei007

lmei007 Member

thank you, sir. I will do it.
  6. D.Smith

D.Smith New Member

You can always get a 2nd estimate from another company for relining.
  7. jimbo

jimbo Plumber

I guess I have a jaded outlook, living here on the left coast, where the South Coast Air Quality Management District would faint if you suggested using one of these smoggers! Al Gore would also like to have a chat!

But I understand there are areas where this represents a reasonable choice. I am skitzy about the section in the manual about FIRE, where they recommend keeping a fire extinguisher and a bucket of water handy,. "just in case" there is a fire in the hopper!

I notice they require a masonry chimney to comply with NFPA 211, the code spec for chimneys. I am not at all familiar with this, so the best advice, which I think you have already decided on, is to listen to the advice of the manufacturer's rep, and local building code officials. I notice in your manual they actually recommend having your insurance agent sign off on this as well, to make sure your coverage is not affected.
    Last edited: Nov 18, 2007