Standing water in gas heater pan...dangerous?

Users who are viewing this thread

Less Robotic

Reaction score
We moved into a rental house with a 13 year old gas water heater. There's about 2 inches of moldy water in the bottom pan. The heater is lit and providing hot water throughout the house fine. There doesn't seem to be any active leaks, as the water isn't increasing...just standing and moldy. Landlord is installing a new one next week. Is there any danger in letting the current one run until then, standing water and all? I'm getting ready to go out and buy one tomorrow instead of waiting but wondering if I'm worried for no reason.

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
I'd sponge up the water and clean up the mold. Then, look for more water leaking. Since it's being replaced next week, I'd probably not do anything else at this time. FWIW, the new ones available today WOULD have a problem standing in water as their air intake is often literally at the floor. The older ones usually have feet, and the air intake is quite a bit higher. If the gas valve was submerged, it would be a different story...that can be dangerous, but I'd doubt that's an issue.

Note, if it's leaking from the T&P valve, that may not be a WH problem, but with a WH 13-years old, replacing it is a good first step. A leaking T&P valve may be a symptom of a failed expansion tank, or the lack of one, if you have a closed system. Water utility companies are often replacing their meters and installing a check valve, which makes the system closed. If you don't have an expansion tank, the WH can weep water each cycle as the cold incoming water gets heated since the pipes won't expand, but the water does - it has to go somewhere. The fact it's not rising could be that it's evaporating as fast as new stuff is being added - it had to come from somewhere! Could be a tank leak, but could be from the T&P valve as well, or even the drain valve.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks