standard height for shower/tube faucet combination

Discussion in 'Plumbing Forum, Professional & DIY Advice' started by Kai, Aug 7, 2005.

1. Kai

Kai New Member

Hi,

Is there any standard or rule of thumb for install a shower/tube combinated unit? The old installation on my tube looks too low.

Thanks,

Kai
  2. jadnashua

jadnashua Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx

Most people want to reach the controls while seated in the tub. Plus, if you get the filler spout too high (it has to be I think 2" above the flood plain of the tub), it can splash. Depending on the style you have, it is your call. For a shower only, the control is nice to not have to bend over to adjust. A tub/shower is always a compromise. My unprofessional opinion.
  3. thezster

thezster New Member

I put the spout 6 inches over the tub rim... the handles 6 inches above that.... and the shower head as high as I can get it.... about 80 inches.... but make sure your tile goes above the level of the spray head.... But I'm no plumber.....
  4. plumguy

plumguy New Member

Usually I rough the tub/shower valve 32" off the bathroom floor and the spout 3" above the rim of the tub. Minimum height for a shower head is usually 6' 6" off the floor and then go higher depending on your'e height and preference.