stainless steel

Discussion in 'Remodel Forum & Blog' started by chaoster, Mar 16, 2009.

1. chaoster

chaoster New Member

I am redoing the kitchen. Having a tough time deciding white or SS appliances. Currently have a white dishwasher and vent hood for about 3 years. Don't really what to get rid of good appliances. Also don't want to have a fridge and stove in SS. Might make the kitchen look weird. Only the SS stove has black cast iron grates on top. White comes with gray. Don't like that. I basiclly have two questions.
    1. With oak cabinets and black granite (black galaxy) which color appliance goes better?
    2. I thought maybe I could get a piece of SS from a metal shop and glue it to the white dishwasher. Is that possible?
  2. SewerRatz

SewerRatz Illinois Licensed Plumber

You can by a new insert for the dishwasher that white cover is removable and you can install stainless steel one. Trouble with stainless steel, i recall from my old Army days is its a pain to keep looking clean. They do have a stainless steel cleaner that works wonders if you do not mind breathing in the fumes from the spray can.
  3. Waterwelldude

Waterwelldude Well driller,pump repair. and septic installer

Keeping ss clean is going to be the biggest thing. White or any colored appliance will be easier to keep clean.
    In some of our costumers homes, they went with ss. It is very nice in any house, but from there feed back. Cleaning is the bad end of the deal. They say you can't just clean one spot. If say some juice or milk were to spill. The whole piece would have to be cleaned.
    SS is very pretty though.

Travis
  4. kingsotall

kingsotall Plunger/TurdPuncher

Aerosol fumes are a thing of the past!
    [​IMG]

Stainless steel is a magnet for fingerprints especially with younguns' in the house.
  5. frenchie

frenchie Jack of all trades

SS is fine, if you:

- eat out all the time, and NEVER use your kitchen; or

- have servants.

For everyone else, it's just really really irritating.
  6. kingsotall

Yeah and if it gets scratched, good nite nurse.
    Sure there are methods to get scratches out but what a pain in the you know what.
  7. Ian Gills

Ian Gills Senior Robin Hood Guy

8. iminaquagmire

iminaquagmire DIY Senior Member

Some manufacturers make appliances with titanium skinned appliances (LG I know for sure). Titanium does not get dirty or streak in the same way SS does and looks nearly identical.
  9. kingsotall

10. frenchie

frenchie Jack of all trades

All I can say is... it's about time!

Thanks, King.