Staining a deck...

Users who are viewing this thread

Coffee4me

Reaction score
Last year I had a deck build by a contractor.
After +/- 2 months after it was build, we stained the deck.
It looked great, but when it rains it leaves white stains on the deck.
What went wrong here ? What can I do to correct this ?

Thank you!

Coffee4me

Reaction score
I checked the bucket we bought.
It says "Wood sealer and finisher"
So, it already has finisher in it.

What went wrong here ?????
:confused:

Cass

Plumber
Reaction score
I would wash and then seal the deck with a good deck sealer. The good ones are about $50-60.00 / Gal. but worth the $$$$

If the water stains can't be removed by washing you may have to stain again.

I wouldn't trust a combo stain and sealer.

Prashster

Reaction score
Provided you get the white spots out before. You'll also seal IN any problems, so you want it to be clean b4.

Does the water bead up significantly when you wet the planks? If not, you ain't sealed properly.

Sparking5

Electrician, JIW
Reaction score
Cabot's Decking Stain

Cabot's Decking stain is rated highly by Consumers Report magazine. I have been following there deck testing for 10 years. Most of the first batches tested were so bad...durability, protection, etc that they threw them out of the tests. Flunked 'em. And, manu have been reformulating since.

The last 2 years or so they have liked Cabots Decking stain...semi-transparent. Lasts about 3-4 years which is longgggggggggg for decking. The more opaque, less transparent, the more protection in general. The clear ones last about a yr.

White stains??? At my house that would be hard water from house. Is it like hard water spots on windows?

Bye

Coffee4me

Reaction score
Yes, white spots like you would see white spots on your windows....

Do I powerwash first and then re-stain it, then seal it ?

Cass

Plumber
Reaction score
Power wash, let it completly dry, then look at it. If it needs staining then stain it.

As far as the sealers go, generaly speaking, the more you pay the better and longer lasting the sealer will be.

Sparking5

Electrician, JIW
Reaction score
Are the white spots merely hard water minerals?If so vinegar rinsewater may remove them. Do a test spot to check. I have very hard water and any water from garden hose makes white spots when it dries. Sometimes they are hard to remove but can be. For inside, I like The Works tub & shower spray cleaner. But that may become expensive for a deck tho they are cheap in price.
Bye

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks