1. Ed from chicago

Ed from chicago Member

Hi Guys!

I have another odd question for you. Can you tell me why the male end of a 1/2" st. elbow has a smaller i.d. than a 1/2" pipe?

Thanks
  2. hj

hj Moderator & Master Plumber Staff Member

It is a malleable cast fitting so the wall thickness has to be greater than piece of steel pipe. If it is a machined or forged fitting, the wall can be thinner.
  3. Ed from chicago

Ed from chicago Member

Thanks hj, the reason i ask is because i have a 1/2" st 90, that is located in bad position. I can't get a pipe wrench around the male end of the fitting, which is connected to a tee. The female end is sticking up, but i fear that putting a wrench on the other end could cause it to break, if i use a pipe wrench and a cheater bar.

Thanks
  4. Ed from chicago

Ed from chicago Member

I meant the female end.
  5. hj

hj Moderator & Master Plumber Staff Member

Street ells CAN snap off, which is one reason they are not allowed for gas piping, but I think you will be safe doing it in your case. They usually snap from "side impact" not twisting. In fact, if you have room, I would put a nipple into the elbow and use that to get it started unscrewing.