Splicing 10/3 with ground and 10/3 without ground

Users who are viewing this thread

diverdave

Reaction score
I am moving an oven and need to splice about 15' of 10/3 onto the existing cable. The existing cable is 10/3 with no ground and the new cable I picked up is 10/3 with ground. What should I do with the ground when I make the splice to extend the cable, should I leave it unconnected or should I splice it together with the neutral (white) wire? On the existing 10/3 all three conductors white, red, black are insulated. The oven has instructions for a 3 wire connection (connect white and ground together) or 4 wire connection.

Thanks

Stuff

Reaction score
Do not splice ground to neutral as that causes electric current to flow through the ground wires. If you can't replace the cable then you should be allowed to run a separate #10 ground wire back to the panel.

WorthFlorida

Clinical Trail 5th session completed 4/24/24.
Solutions
Reaction score
This may depend if you have a electrical permit and need to pass inspection. All new 220v appliances require four wire, however, the ground wire is generally is not required for old wiring. I would run a new cable all the way to the panel. (Be safe) The way you want to do it is you will need a junction box that must be accessible. I'd be OK if it will be behind a refrigerator or in a closet, or even in a crawl space, but not behind a cabinet. If you are going to use this new ten three and not run a ground to the panel, cut the ground wire off so no one would ever assume that it is good ground.

See page 5 of this PDF document.
https://www.whirlpool.com/content/d...6/InstallationInstructions-W10403811-RevC.pdf

Last edited:

Reach4

Reaction score
Do not splice ground to neutral as that causes electric current to flow through the ground wires. If you can't replace the cable then you should be allowed to run a separate #10 ground wire back to the panel.
Would he be allowed to instead splice the new #10 ground wire to the new cable ground, which is connected to the panel?

Stuff

Reaction score
Would he be allowed to instead splice the new #10 ground wire to the new cable ground, which is connected to the panel?
Should be fine but still open to local interpretation. The code section is titled "Nongrounding Receptacle Replacement or Branch Circuit Extensions"

diverdave

Reaction score
This may depend if you have a electrical permit and need to pass inspection. All new 220v appliances require four wire, however, the ground wire is generally is not required for old wiring. I would run a new cable all the way to the panel. (Be safe) The way you want to do it is you will need a junction box that must be accessible. I'd be OK if it will be behind a refrigerator or in a closet, or even in a crawl space, but not behind a cabinet. If you are going to use this new ten three and not run a ground to the panel, cut the ground wire off so no one would ever assume that it is good ground.

See page 5 of this PDF document.
https://www.whirlpool.com/content/d...6/InstallationInstructions-W10403811-RevC.pdf

I was not planning on getting a permit. In fact, I have an old piece of 10/3 with no ground that I was originally going to use for this extension but then I thought it would be better to get a new piece but I forgot to consider the ground. I understand that running a new cable back to the panel is the preferred option but it is not easily accessible and the run would be difficult. I guess the way I look at it is the new oven allows a three wire connection and the previous ovens that came out of the space were connected to three wire for 40 years with no problems. Maybe it would be better if I just run the old 10/3 I have with no ground so there is no chance that someone would assume the ground is good.

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
The wiring diagram for a 3 wire connection will show the internal ground is connected to the neutral wire so you will not even use the ground in your cable.

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
Local inspectors will ultimately decide. For a direct replacement, you are allowed to hook up a new appliance normally using a 4-wire cable to an existing 3-wire one if allowed by the appliance instructions. But, moving it, generally calls for the installation to meet the current codes which would imply a new cable from the panel. It's a matter of interpreting new verses old/replacement. Generally, running a separate ground wire isn't allowed...it should be inside of the cable unless you're dealing with conduit and separate wires.

Norcal01

Reaction score
You need to rerun the oven circuit back to the panel, grounding the frame of cooking equipment to the neutral is only allowed in existing installations, as soon as it's relocated, it needs to be brought up to current code.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks