spliced 10 -3 wire question

Discussion in 'Electrical Forum discussion & Blog' started by capnwill, Sep 25, 2007.

1. capnwill

capnwill New Member

hello, just removed a drop ceiling and found wires above. one wire was a 12-2 and the other was either 10-3 or 12-3. bought extra wire for each spliced each one and connected each to seperate exposed junction boxes on wall. the 10-3 has power when i touch hot to ground and hot to nuetral. the 12-2 has no power now so both original outlets dont work. seems simple but i am at a loss. am i doing anything wrong?? thanx for your time!:confused:
  2. frenchie

frenchie Jack of all trades

"Spliced" how, exactly?

We need more info, like a diagram or something - at least an explanation with more detail...
    Last edited: Sep 26, 2007
  3. capnwill

capnwill New Member

mark, simply cut the 12-2 and the 10-3 then added extra length of each , connected the wires inside junction boxes. basically lengthened each run and attached them to wall so wires wouldn't be hanging from ceiling. hope this helps! thanx bill
  4. Speedy Petey

Speedy Petey Licensed Electrical Contractor

I was totally confused by the first post. I get it a little clearer now.
    If that is all you did you simply mixed something up.

EVERYTHING you did should have been color-for-color, wire-for-wire.
    Re-check every splice.
  5. jwelectric

jwelectric Electrical Contractor/Instructor

I an totally confused by the first and third post. Is this two different people using the same user name such as Mark and Bill or is this one person using two different sir names?

NM cable above a lay-in ceiling???????? Hope this is in a residence.
  6. frenchie

frenchie Jack of all trades

I think the 3rd post:

is his answer to:

and he thinks my name is Mark because my signature line starts with a quote from Master Plumber Mark.

It would have be less confusing if he'd written "Mark, I simply cut..."