soundproof walls

Users who are viewing this thread

jhaug

Reaction score
In the process of redoing my main bath. Its gutted to the studs, and I wanted to do something to dampen the sound. I don't have room to fur the walls with channel or go double sheetrock. I was thinking of cutting sound board to fit btwn studs then glue and caulk in place then add batten insulation over that. My question is will sound board used in this way make any difference, or am I just giving myself extra work for nothing. - thanks jared

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
The sheetrock nailed to both sides of the studs is the MAJOR cause of noise transfer, and unless you isolate the sheetrock from the framing members, with channels or some other way, you will get very little attenuation with the insulation.

Dlarrivee

Reaction score
Gluing or caulking anything in place wont help much, you need to "de-couple" the board from the studs in some way...

Doubling the board, insulating, and sealing boxes can help a small amount though.

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
A double set of studs so that there is board only on one side would help. An offset of as little as 1/4" would be sufficient.

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
When they use 'double studs" for a wall, we used to use staggered 2x3's and then wove fiberglass insulation between them to isolate the two sides of the wall from each other.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks