Something learned from my younger brother

Discussion in 'Plumbing Forum, Professional & DIY Advice, Tips & ' started by srdenny, Dec 20, 2006.

1. srdenny

srdenny Plumbing Contractor

I hooked up two new lavy faucets yesterday. Before testing them, it is wise to remove the spout aerator. In this case the aerators were factory tightened a bit too much. Not to worry. Some years ago my brother, Todd, came up with a great idea to remove aerators. He cut a piece of 7/8" dishwasher hose and placed it over the aerator, gave ot a twist and it came right off. No scratches and no sweating. One of his simple but effective inventions.
  2. Randyj

Randyj Master Plumber

I remember reading helpful hints in Mechanix Illustrated some 40 or so years ago... similar scenario .... wrap with a piece of cardboard before putting a pipe wrench or pliers on it.
  3. Cass

Cass Plumber

It works on the same principle as the disc of rubber they sell to aid in the removal of jar screw tops. Good idea.