Solvent welded shower drain is leaking

Users who are viewing this thread

Paul Stelter

Reaction score
The 12 year old solvent welded shower drain in our one piece fiberglass shower is leaking where the drain assembly meets the shower enclosure underneath. From the basement I can see a nut and some threads (inside the drain from on top it is smooth), but I can't even get a band wrench on the nut. Is there anyway to repair? How would I remove it without trashing the shower enclosure? Thanks.

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
There are many ways to try to loosen the nut, but no way to tell which one would work for you. Possibly a long screwdriver and hammer tapping against one of the lugs on the nut. If any of the sealant used to seal the drain got onto the thread before the nut was tightened, then it may be impossible to turn it.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks