Soldering technique?

Users who are viewing this thread

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
Most of the 'newer' plumbing fluxes are water soluble, and are easier to burn. They do work well, if your technique is good. The older stuff, because it isn't water soluble, can leave a distinct taste in the water until it washes away, and because it isn't soluble, that can take awhile (goes away faster in hot pipes than the cold ones). It doesn't help that the solder now must be lead free, which melts at a higher temp than the older stuff, too. It does eventually go away, though. Because the grease in the older flux doesn't boil away as fast, it is less prone to burning (you still can burn it all out, but it's more forgiving).

The tinning flux helps, since the powdered solder in it starts to coat the pipe as soon as it is hot enough, and that helps prevent burning while you add more to completely fill the joint properly.

I've soldered lots of stuff, but don't do it often anymore. The hassle is, once I moved into my condo, it's illegal for me to solder pipes since I don't have a plumber's license. When it comes to electronics, been certified and trained to solder stuff for missiles and radars, and have a fair amount of experience with that. Some of that knowledge carries over, but not all - the technique is somewhat different.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks