1. buzzard

buzzard New Member

i have a full spool of solder thats been in the garage for i dont know how long.

it is dutch boy and has the following markings:

Sn 95% Sb 5% also says ASTM B-32.

i also have a half spool of one that is oatey silver lead free solder but has no other markings.

i am soldering some copper for water supply lines and want to make sure this is applicable.

[​IMG]
    Soldered with No-Lead Solder
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 7, 2009
  2. nhmaster

nhmaster Master Plumber

It's fine. Go ahead and use it.
  3. Wrex

Wrex New Member

Just make sure that any solder that you do use doesn't say Pb on it which means lead.

The solder you're using is a combination of 95% tin and 5% antimony solders also bearing silver exist however the SB SN mix is the most common.
    Last edited: Sep 1, 2008
  4. hj

hj Moderator & Master Plumber Staff Member

95/5

It is actually the other way around. Silver bearing solder is the most common. 95/5 is also available, but is not used as much as the regular stuff because it is less tolerant as far as heat is concerned.