Solar waterheating ,Hot water plumbing

Discussion in 'Solar and Geothermal Water Heating Forum' started by ajom, Jun 3, 2006.

1. ajom

ajom New Member

I have installed a solar water heater. For carrying hot water I have used GI pipes. Whether It is a bad decision? I have to wait for some time to get the Hot water because hot water pipe is not insulated. What is the best way to insulate it? Please advise me . I am from India.

Thanks
    Thomas
  2. what are GI pipes???

whatever they are , you can get that split type armaflex from

any plumbing supply house about 55 c per foot...
  3. hj

hj Moderator & Master Plumber Staff Member

pipe

Galvanized iron pipes are not an extremely good conductor of heat, so the water will not lose as much temperature between the faucet and heater as it would with copper. Therefore, while insulation will help, your main problem would appear to the distance the water travels, and thus the volume of cooled water that has to be evacated before the hot water can flow, and insulation will not help that to any noticable extent.
  4. ajom

ajom New Member

Whether insulation will help in keeping the water in the pipe hot ? So that it will reduce the water to be evacuated before hot water can flow?
    Thanks
    Thomas
  5. hj

hj Moderator & Master Plumber Staff Member

Insulation will only increase the time it takes for water in the pipes to cool down. Therefore, whether it will reduce the amount of water used before it gets hot at the faucet depends on how frequently the faucet is turned on, in addition to the amount of insualtion used.