Solar Attic Fan

Discussion in 'HVAC Heating & Cooling' started by Bill MD, Jun 11, 2009.

1. Bill MD

Bill MD New Member

I need to replace my attic fan. Recently I've heard of solar powered attic fans. Seems to me that installing one may be a good idea. I know that a solar fan will save electricity but costs more than fans that require external power. Anyone have any thoughts as to the pros and cons of solar fans?

Thanks
  2. jadnashua

jadnashua Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx

Depends somewhat on where you live. They typically don't move as much air as one you run off the grid, so you may need more than one. I've seen these, but have no idea how good they are...http://www.solatube.com/homeowner/solarstar_landing.php
    I do have one of their tubular skylights in my bathroom, and it worked out really well.
  3. Thatguy

Thatguy Homeowner

You can get 100w per sq. meter of solar panel area, so maybe you get 1/7 hp.
    Last edited: Jun 12, 2009
  4. Bill MD

Bill MD New Member

Thanks for the info. FYI, I live on the Maryland Eastern Shore. So the fan will run a lot during the summer.
  5. Thatguy

Thatguy Homeowner