Softener drain to washing machine drain?

Users who are viewing this thread

David S

Reaction score
Hello! We moved into a new house and that was a spec and no softener loop was installed. I found my main line coming in and it’s in the laundry room so I’m going to put my system there since I have a drain and everything I need. My question is can I drain the softener down the same drain the washing machine uses? The second question is I’m looking at the fleck system, either the resin tank and brine separate or the all in one. I don’t think the brine tank overflow will be higher than the washing machine drain. Can I use the clean out and put a p trap down there since it’s lower? See pic below. Thank you for the advice and help!!!

Attachments

• 2E313459-9C2D-4245-AB4B-66188FCC0634.jpeg
    2E313459-9C2D-4245-AB4B-66188FCC0634.jpeg
    66.4 KB · Views: 6,347

Bannerman

Reaction score
My question is can I drain the softener down the same drain the washing machine uses?
Yes, but... A water softener contains potable water so the drain connection should not be inserted down the standpipe as the washing machine is, but is to be connected through an air gap.

Below is a link to a manufacturer's site for various commercially manufactured air gap devices. You do not necessarily need a commercial product as you can configure your own. The purpose is to prevent bacterial cross-contamination from the drain system to the potable supply. The air gap is a physical gap in case the drainage system should back-up, so the contaminated water will not come into contact with the water softener's drain line and cannot back-up into the softener.
https://airgap.com/product-category/water-softener-airgaps/

Can I use the clean out
Not all Brine tanks are fitted with an overflow drain port as many are equipped with a safety float and valve to prevent overflow if there is a malfunction.
The cleanout is likely required for code compliance.

noms23

Reaction score
Good day guys, first time poster here, been reading some threads about water softener/refiner, since we are planning getting one installed. I have the same question as the TS, since i only have two options for drain line, which is first is the washing machine drain, second is at the outside of the house, which will require drilling on the drywall and bricks.

I'm leaning towards to use the washing machine drain in the laundry room, since it is near in the garage where i will be putting the system.

Now, granted that it is fine to do it (drain line will be shared by the water softener and washing machine), my question is regarding the washing machine drain hose, since the water softener discharged will have a lot of salt, is it safe to say that it will not do any harm or damaged or corrode the washing machine drain hose? Don't wanna be surprised one day to find out that the washing machine drain hose is already broke and clogging the drain line.

Thanks very much. God Bless...

Pardon for my ignorance, since this is all new to me, im really noob at this.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks