So, I want to to insulate my garage too...plastic supporting fiberglass.

Users who are viewing this thread

Lakee911

I&C Engineer (mostly WWTP)
Reaction score
So, I too want to insulate my garage. Thing is, though, I can't drywall it yet. Also, I can get a heck of a deal (and I mean heck of a deal) on 15" wide R30 unfaced insulation.

I'm thinking of putting up 4mil visqueen on the bottom of the ceiling and then squishing two 15" wide bats between my existing 2x4 24" o.c. rafters. Will this work?

Is this the way to go or is it dumb?

Thx

Ian Gills

Senior Robin Hood Guy
Reaction score
I would cut the bats to 24-25 inches. 30 inches is going to make an awful squish in a 24 inch space that might actually lose some of the insulation properties in the bats. Also isn't a R30 bat ten inches deep? You want to avoid compressing this stuff.

So, sounds dumb, unless you are resting this stuff down horizontally between the joists in a garage loft-type space where the depth won't matter so much.

Can I call you dumb again? I quite enjoyed that.

Dummy dumb dumbo and his cheap bats. Dummy, dumbnut, blockhead, dimwit, dolt, dullard, dunce, ignoramus, numskull, oaf, simpleton.

Sorry. :)

Last edited:

Lakee911

I&C Engineer (mostly WWTP)
Reaction score
Ya it was a dumb idear ... at least I'm a dumb american, Ian. :) ...

Thing is, when over at the blue box store just now, my buddy happened to be working and we got to talking and she asked what I was doing and so I told her. She decided to give me the hookup on the right products!

All said and done, I got 17% off list, I still qualify for $100 MIR, and 30% tax credit. :D

So, my 22'x22' garage will have R-49 in the attic and R-13 in the walls for less than $200 which is less that my tax credit for my windows, man door and garage door. Woot! Free insulation for garage. :)

Now we're not talkin' dumb

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks