Snaking the mainline question

Discussion in 'Plumbing Forum, Professional & DIY Advice' started by tbfyou, May 26, 2012.

1. tbfyou

tbfyou New Member

I can't get the snake to bend enough to make the "T" at the mainline. Any suggestions? We have to have this done every 6 months and I can't afford that anymore. Ineed suggestions besides call a plumber please.
  2. hj

hj Moderator & Master Plumber Staff Member

If it were the correct "T", and there is no defect in it, and you are using the proper sized snake, it should go around the corner without "bending" the snake. WIthout knowing whether you are using the proper snake, accessing the drain in the proper location, we cannot help you. BUT, if you are snaking through the toilet's opening, then it is almost impossible to get the proper snake to turn downward, because its natural tendency will be to make a "U" turn and go UP the pipe. An undersized, or weak, snake CAN make the "S" turn necessary, but will seldom do a proper job of clearing the obstruction, which could be why it happens every 6 months.
  3. SteveW

SteveW DIY Senior Member

Hate to say it but you are trying to get folks on this site, in 2 different threads, to give you permission to do something that is at best ineffective and at worst potentially dangerous to you. Professional snakes (in your other thread you say you rented a snake so I'm assuming it's pretty good size) can hurt you if you don't know what you are doing.

I think you are getting the same advice from both threads -- bite the bullet, have the line professionally cleaned out, and maybe if it is done really well this time you won't have to have it done for a long time.