Smoke alarms: what brand should I buy?

Users who are viewing this thread

BurleyMike

Reaction score
I have needed to install smoke alarms for a while now and I figure it is better to spend the time in the attic running the wire while it is still cool up there.

Now I am trying to decide on what brand and model to buy. I have been looking at the Gentex 120v and Kiddie 120v, tandem operation, battery backup.

The Gentex cost quite a bit more than the Kiddie units. Is there a good reason for this? I noticed the Gentex is made in the USA which is a plus to me. Any alarm experts that can tell me which would be a better alarm?

I don't want units that will go off every time I put some wood in the stove or the wife burns some toast.

From everything I have read photoelectric is supposed to be better for smoldering fires and less false alarms?

Jimbo

Plumber
Reaction score
In theory, there is no difference between brands, but take a chinese import for what it is.

Yes, of the two types ( ionization and photoelectric) the photoelectric is less sensitive to false alarms from burning toast in the toaster, etc. In general, they recommend not putting smoke alarms close to kitchens or steamy showers, but if you must, use the photo. If you are going to interconnect alarms, it is preferable that they all are the same brand, because no one will give you assurance that their model interconnects properly with another brand.

Iminaquagmire

DIY Senior Member
Reaction score
I couldn't tell you what brand is better as I've never seen a Gentex, but Kidde is pretty well known. As for types, you want both or combination units as they both operate differently, detecting different fires at different rates. Photoelectric are generally considered better for preventing nuisance alarms, but I wouldn't give up the ability to detect a flaming fire or one with fine smoke. If it were me, I'd put photoelectric in all living, sleeping, and common areas, with an ionization or combination unit in each of the common areas as well.

EFraelich82

Reaction score
Consumer Reports has done extensive testing on multiple different types. They HIGHLY recommend buying a unit that is both a smoke and CO2 detector. The cheapest highly rated model is a First Alert CO615.

M

marblecityv12

Actually there is good product in the market like Gentex 120v and Kiddie 120v, tandem operation, battery backup,you can try out that.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks