Smelly hot water even after new anode rod

Users who are viewing this thread

ChopperRS

Reaction score
I was having issues with a rotten egg smell in my hot water and replaced the anode rod. Although the rod had a dark scummy coating on it, it had not been reduced in length or thickness. With the new rod n place, I had almost two weeks of smell free water, but now the rotten egg smell has returned stronger than ever. I am on a well system. The whole upstairs reeks following morning showers. Help needed. - Richard

Reach4

Reaction score
Unfortunately a new magnesium, or even aluminum, rod can increase the smell compared to an exhausted rod. A powered anode protects like magnesium or better, and it does not facilitate H2S production.

I suggest you crank up the WH temperature now to minimize SRB growth. Also I would sanitize my well and plumbing system, presuming you are on a well. https://terrylove.com/forums/index....izing-extra-attention-to-4-inch-casing.65845/
sanitizing can have a very good effect. Some use a simpler procedure than what I use. It can help, but it is not as long-lasting.

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
Anode rods are available in more than one metal. Some can react with your incoming water and produce some smells. The solution is to use one made with a different metal, or condition your water to enable the 'standard' one to work without problems.

brighteyesfordemis

Reaction score
I've been trying to figure out why, after three weeks or so, after replacing my anode rod, my hot water smells like eggs again?

brighteyesfordemis

Reaction score
Anode rods are available in more than one metal. Some can react with your incoming water and produce some smells. The solution is to use one made with a different metal, or condition your water to enable the 'standard' one to work without problems.
... How do I know what metal rod I should get?

brighteyesfordemis

Reaction score
I was having issues with a rotten egg smell in my hot water and replaced the anode rod. Although the rod had a dark scummy coating on it, it had not been reduced in length or thickness. With the new rod n place, I had almost two weeks of smell free water, but now the rotten egg smell has returned stronger than ever. I am on a well system. The whole upstairs reeks following morning showers. Help needed. - Richard
I'm having a very similar problem. I recently replaced my anode rod about three weeks or so. Everything was fine, but now that rotten egg smell has returned...What did you do to solve your problem?
Thanks,
James

Reach4

Reaction score
I'm having a very similar problem. I recently replaced my anode rod about three weeks or so. Everything was fine, but now that rotten egg smell has returned...What did you do to solve your problem?
I used a Ceranode powered anode. It protects like magnesium, but does not react to help produce H2S.

Its electrode stretches to match the length of the old anode. There are stubby anodes that are cheaper, but I expect them to offer less protection.

At the cheaper end, many just replace the anode with a brass plug to avoid the H2S generation. https://culligan.com/home/solution-...o-treat-sulfur-water-and-reduce-the-rotten-eg

Some treat the WH with hydrogen peroxide periodically. Including the WH in you well and plumbing sanitizing can help, at least for a while.

Last edited:
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks