Smart meter connected to neighbor's electrical system?

Users who are viewing this thread

Afjes

Reaction score
I don't see an actual question so I will just go with your statement.

That is basically true in normal circumstances.

It is usually the reasonability of the home owner for the lines connect when they first hit the house, down into the meter and then to the breaker panel/disconnect. Power company is responsibile for the line going from the house back to the pole under most circumstances (arial) - maybe not underground.

If this is a single family home it would make no sense.
If a multifamily home )with multiple meters banked together) then it is possible that XCel may have the wrong meter number associated with the account. Is this a sudden realization or a new installation?

The best way to tell is to have an electrician come out and investigate unless the property owner has enough experience to determine this on their own.

Robert Gift

Reaction score
The woman is a goodetective!
I would trace it myself.
Justrange thathe meter was connected to theighbor'service. (Townhome/condominium.)
Wonder how many other meters are wrongly connected and none knows.

Last edited:

wwhitney

In the Trades
Reaction score
The news article title is inaccurate in that the problem has nothing to do with the meter being smart.

Sounds like the sole problem is that when the complex was built, some of the meters were mislabeled as to what apartment they were for. And that mislabeling was never caught until now. Simple fix is to relabel the meters and get the POCO to update the meter serial numbers associated with each account.

Cheers, Wayne

Last edited:
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks