Small water heater recommendation

Users who are viewing this thread

Nmlaz

Reaction score
Hello -

I am finishing a bonus room with 1/2 bath / powder room and a bar that will have a sink. I was looking at small water heaters and thought I had it all figured out but would appreciate your input.
First, everything is wired (120v dedicated) and plumbed. I was looking at the Ariston 2.5 Gal HERE Or this GE HERE

In contrast what about 120v tankless? Like this one HERE Made in USA is bonus for me too.

This room will be used for watch parties and just hanging out... you know, man cave stuff... just not sure if I should get the bigger size (4 gal) or if there is another small water heater that would be better. Actual hot water needs other than washing hands and glasses / small dishes from time to time would be limited.

Any high quality small WH's out there? Is this one junk???
Thanks for your recommendation.

Nick

Last edited by a moderator:

Reach4

Reaction score
Could Nick use the cable that he ran for a dedicated 120 VAC water heater circuit for 240?

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
Depends on the gauge...and what the WH required for current. 120vac circuit could be run in 14g but if it's a 20A, needs to be at least 12g, so you're limited to the gauge wire as to what breaker you can use.

Nmlaz

Reaction score
I didn't run anything less than 12/2, which is what this circuit is. I thought about running 240 but for what we'll be using it for (mostly washing hands) I figured the 120v circuit would be fine.
Any good little units out there?

Thanks so much!

Reach4

Reaction score
I didn't run anything less than 12/2, which is what this circuit is. I thought about running 240 but for what we'll be using it for (mostly washing hands) I figured the 120v circuit would be fine.
240 can run fine on 12/2 just as well as 120 VAC. The question I was asking is if are you allowed to use a white wire as a hot if you mark it somehow. It used to be allowed. If so do you have enough space in your breaker panel for a 240 breaker? That would let you select from a lot more water heaters.

Nmlaz

Reaction score
240 can run fine on 12/2 just as well as 120 VAC. The question I was asking is if are you allowed to use a white wire as a hot if you mark it somehow. It used to be allowed. If so do you have enough space in your breaker panel for a 240 breaker? That would let you select from a lot more water heaters.

Yes sir, that is legal here. I have a few circuits wired that way. I also have plenty of room for the breaker....however, my original question was for recommendations on a 120v WH ... I realize I would have more options and probably be happier with 240v if I had a higher demand, but I don't. I'm really just going to be using it for hand washing 90% + of the time.

I guess in my original post, I should have been more clear. I am more worried about reliability, chances of leakage and overall quality as opposed to the recovery, temp rise etc of the WH's in question.

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
From what has been said previously, the difference between electric WH's is usually very small, unlike the more complex gas-fired ones. Pick one in a size and power requirement that will suit your needs. A line-voltage one will take longer to recover, but that may not be an issue, and can be compensated by picking a larger one. It's all about how much you need, and how often.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks