Small dip on front edge of bowl...

Users who are viewing this thread

OneLeash

Reaction score
image.jpg
image.jpg
After we installed our 2nd Toto Eco Drake today I noticed the front edge of the bowl has a small dip in the oval shape on one side. Even though it bugs me and my OCD personality, I would never make my husband take it out so we could return it for a "perfect" bowl. It was ordered online through HD and would take awhile to be delivered. Just wish it were in the hall bathroom where you don't see the bowl facing you when you walk in. I'm sure I'll get used to it. It wouldn't be so bad if there were a dip evenly placed on each side to give it decorative look. Drives me crazy when things aren't how they're supposed to be. Oh, well, two perfect Totos out of three will have to suffice. So, do these kinds of flaws bother anyone else except me?
image.jpg

WJcandee

Wise One
Reaction score
That's a casting error. Forget about HD. Send Toto a picture and/or call them about it. They are very, very nice and eager to please and that is pretty obviously a casting error. Usually their quality control is top-notich. Surprised they missed this one. When I had a bowl issue they just offered to send me a new one. It's worth a try. Call them at 1-888-295-8134. Note that that's an 888 number. You will speak to nice people in Georgia.

OneLeash

Reaction score
That's a casting error. Forget about HD. Send Toto a picture and/or call them about it. They are very, very nice and eager to please and that is pretty obviously a casting error. Usually their quality control is top-notich. Surprised they missed this one. When I had a bowl issue they just offered to send me a new one. It's worth a try. Call them at 1-888-295-8134. Note that that's an 888 number. You will speak to nice people in Georgia.

Thank you, wjcandee! I'll do that. Now I need to convince my husband to reinstall the toilet if they send us another bowl. Heck, I might just hire a plumber to come out and put it in.

Thanks once again for the information!

Reach4

Reaction score
Normally you use a sealant/caulk around the bottom of a toilet except for the back. The material keeps liquids on the floor from creeping under the toilet. If there were sealant in place, you might never have noticed the flaw. This sealant should not be silicone sealant, because that sticks too strongly. That would make future changes or repairs a problem.

Now that you have seen it, it's probably going to bother you. Search for "Polyseamseal" in this forum using the search box at the top, for when your husband does the change out. For less experienced people, masking tape makes it easier to get a good looking seam.

Gary Swart

In the Trades
Reaction score
I agree with all of the above, but as Reach 4 points out, the base should be caulked and that will conceal the defect. The caulk should be a latex base, not silicon. I use Dap brand because it comes in a tube and there is less waste when the unused portion is thrown out, but that's just a personal preference. This caulk serves 3 purposes. First, it anchors the toilet and prevents shifting. Second, it prevents spilled water or mop water from oozing under the toilet. And third it will conceal shims, if they were necessary, or as in you case, a casting flaw. The dip has absolutely nothing to do with the workings of the toilet, so replacing would be pointless.

WJcandee

Wise One
Reaction score
Actually, if I understand the original poster's photos, the defect is not between bowl and floor, but rather an indentation in the vertical side of the bowl itself. You can see where rather than being a smooth arc, there is a sort of dimple inwards in the porcelain. It's not the horizontal plane that is the issue, it's the vertical one, at least as I understand it. Caulking is not going to fix that.

OneLeash

Reaction score
Actually, if I understand the original poster's photos, the defect is not between bowl and floor, but rather an indentation in the vertical side of the bowl itself. You can see where rather than being a smooth arc, there is a sort of dimple inwards in the porcelain. It's not the horizontal plane that is the issue, it's the vertical one, at least as I understand it. Caulking is not going to fix that.

You're correct. No amount of caulking will hide an indentation in the bowl. I emailed Toto as suggested here and sent them the photos. Unfortunately, I was told that I need to return it to where I purchased it. In my case, Home Depot.
That's not going to happen because it can only be ordered online and then it takes awhile to be delivered to the store. Also, as I mentioned, I just don't want to make my husband take this out and reinstall another one. Since this one is flushing fine with a back-to-back Toto on the other side, I don't want to rock the boat. Maybe another bowl wouldn't work the same. Not sure if that could happen, but I don't want to find out. It's almost 100% we have a double sanitary tee.

So, we'll keep this one! Thank you for your input.

WJcandee

Wise One
Reaction score
Don't give up with Toto. You are making a warranty claim. That happens through them, not HD. Call back and ask to speak to a supervisor. Explain to them what you explained to me -- it's stupid to make me return this to HD (what are they going to do with it anyway?), because they have to reorder, then we wait, etc., meanwhile I have no toilet. And you would be having to take it out and bring it back. That's not up to their usual standard of customer service, and you should press them, up the line, until they make it right. It's their product, and their warranty.

OneLeash

Reaction score
Don't give up with Toto. You are making a warranty claim. That happens through them, not HD. Call back and ask to speak to a supervisor. Explain to them what you explained to me -- it's stupid to make me return this to HD (what are they going to do with it anyway?), because they have to reorder, then we wait, etc., meanwhile I have no toilet. And you would be having to take it out and bring it back. That's not up to their usual standard of customer service, and you should press them, up the line, until they make it right. It's their product, and their warranty.

This is basically what I said when I wrote back. I told them it's not HD's fault that the casting was off. So why go through the middle man. I said what's the difference in sending THEM a new bowl or sending one directly to ME? I haven't heard back. It was a gentleman named Todd Richardson. I haven't called yet--only sent the email so I could include photos.

Curiously, would another bowl change the the way the toilet works? In other words, I'm pleased with the way the back-to-back Totos flush with the sanitary tee. I would hate to jinx it with another bowl. If that's the case, I can live with the "dented, pedestal.

Reach4

Reaction score
I said what's the difference in sending THEM a new bowl or sending one directly to ME?
Do you really not understand the difference?

Hint, Toto is not going to pack and ship a single toilet base to a store via UPS.

Last edited:

WJcandee

Wise One
Reaction score
Do you really not understand the difference?

Hint, Toto is not going to pack and ship a single toilet base to a store via UPS.

I disagree. When there was a potential casting error in one of our toilets, Toto offered to ship a new one directly to me. I don't know why they won't do the same with her.

WJcandee

Wise One
Reaction score
Also, don't assume that HD is going to require you to remove the bowl and bring it to the store before they do warranty stuff for you. Obviously you need the toilet in the meantime, and all they are going to do is junk it anyway. But they do want it back so it isn't a ruse to get an extra one. My cell provider's insurance plan sends me a replacement phone when mine is broken, even before they have received the broken one. It's good business, and there are ways to ensure that you send it back or pay a penalty. HD should be willing to do the same. (i.e. you show them the photos and/or Toto tells them to take it on warranty, and you pick up the new one, install it, and (yuck) return the used one).

What Toto may be doing is taking advantage of whatever retailer-return program HD has. That is, they may have a return program that doesn't initially involve the manufacturer. You should inquire. Costco does this: they will take back ANYTHING within X number of days from purchase, defective or not. People sometimes return toilets, believe it or not.

OneLeash

Reaction score
Wjcandee, thank you for your generous replies. Normally I would be marching right down to HD to show them the photos or calling Toto and insisting on talking to someone who could help me. But, you know, I've just gotten used to it. Again, since it's in our tiny master bathroom which other people rarely use, it's not as big of an issue now. And, believe me, I'm the type who wants things RIGHT from the beginning. Just ask my husband. ;) Again, if it didn't involve my husband having to remove and reinstall, I would seriously consider it. And, I also like that it's flushing perfectly even as a back-to-back install with a double sanitary tee. Not saying that another bowl would change that...but don't want to take the chance. :( Still didn't get answer whether or not a new bowl MIGHT cause issues with siphoning.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks