Slip fit spout loose - brand unknown

Users who are viewing this thread

schiri

Reaction score
First post so goes easy on me folks.

Selling house and home inspector says the slip fit spout on my jetted tub needs to be tightened.

It is not the original and was installed 3+ years ago by ME. I do not know the brand.

There is a slot on the top on the top for I suppose an Allen wrench but I do not know what size. I try to shine a light down the slot but I still can't see in there all the way to confirm that does indeed have a set screw.

It seems all of my Allen wrenchs are too short. I'm wondering if it came with a special, longer wrench of some sort that I must have pitched out after I installed it ??

Any ideas?

TIA

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
If it truely slipped on, then yes, it does have a setscrew to hold it in place. No idea what size. Most spouts would not be thick enough to need a long-handled wrench. Note, if you overtighten the setscrew, you can distort the pipe and possibly create a leak. You know you can use either end of an allen wrench...you just don't get as much leverage if you use the long section in the screw. A set of longer shafts isn't too expensive, and not a bad thing to have on hand. Hassle is, you don't know if it is English or metric sized.

schiri

Reaction score
If it truely slipped on, then yes, it does have a setscrew to hold it in place. No idea what size. Most spouts would not be thick enough to need a long-handled wrench. Note, if you overtighten the setscrew, you can distort the pipe and possibly create a leak. You know you can use either end of an allen wrench...you just don't get as much leverage if you use the long section in the screw. A set of longer shafts isn't too expensive, and not a bad thing to have on hand. Hassle is, you don't know if it is English or metric sized.

THANKS for the quick reply.

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
Spouts do NOT have a slot on top, otherwise water would get into them and who knows where it would go to cause a leak. IF there is a set screw it will be on the bottom, NOT the top.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks