Sizing gas line for new outdoor BBQ

Users who are viewing this thread

kefxb24

Reaction score
I have used this forum and other information sources to research the required size of a gas line extension for an outdoor BBQ. I have attached a diagram showing the existing natural gas appliances and facilities at my home located in Chester County, PA - a suburb of Philadelphia.

Using Table 402.4(2) for Metallic Pipe of the 2012 International Fuel Gas Code and 125' as the maximum length for the run, an extension utilizing 1/2" pipe appears to sufficiently service the new grill, but just barely.

Since hard pipe is my least attractive option considering routing under an overhand and a deck, I would prefer to use CSST or PVC coated copper tubing such as Gas-Tec/GasShield. According to IFGC tables 402.4(9) for Semirigid Tubing and 402.4(15) for CSST, 1/2" copper or ED18 CSST tubing is insufficient for the grill extension. A minimum 3/4" tubing or ED25 CSST appears to be required. (I get the same result if I substitute 100' as the maximum run length.)

1. Based upon the above, have I correctly calculated the sizing requirements for the line extension to the grill?
  2. Am I correct in not considering the backup generator in my calculations because it is fed directly from the meter?
  3. Please provide corrections, thoughts and suggestions on how best to handle this project.

Thank you.

Attachments

• Basement gas pipe layout.jpg
    Basement gas pipe layout.jpg
    34.8 KB · Views: 5,311

kefxb24

Reaction score
The BTU for the grill is shown on the diagram, 40k. It also shows the BTUs for the dryer, which is on the same segment.

Ontario Plumber

Plumber
Reaction score
Oh yes I see it now. Looking at my Canadian Code, 1/2" would be sufficient for up to 58KBTU/h so you should be okay with that.

The generator doesn't necessarily have to be considered when sizing the line from the dryer to the grill. When sizing, you work with the appliance furthest away from the regulator. In this case, it turns out that the grill will be the furthest.

Sometimes there can be a risk that adding an appliance at the end of a run can undersize the piping before it. But your piping seems like its sized okay.

This is all based on you having a pressure of between 7' and 14" WC

Last edited:

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
11 /4" 1", and 3/4" seem a bit oversized if all you have on the system now is the dryer. If you have a range/cooktop, water heater, and furnace they have to be figured into the mix.

kefxb24

Reaction score
The inside 1" previously serviced a furnace and water heater; both were replaced with a geothermal system running on electric.

The range, oven, and backup water heater are also electric. My diagram shows all current appliances utilizing natural gas.

The exterior 1.25" piping was recently installed when the gas company upgraded the meter to support the backup generator.

Hammerlane

Reaction score
1-1 /4", 1" and 3/4" seem a bit oversized if all you have on the system now is the dryer. If you have a range/cooktop, water heater, and furnace they have to be figured into the mix.
I'd rather be oversized and have to reduce down with one or two fitting than to be underized and have to possibly replace back all the way to the main.

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
The 1 1/4" on the side going to the dryer has absolutely nothing to do with the generator's gas supply, and vice versa. The only consideration is what size pipe will deliver 40 k btus using the 130' length column.

Jm66208

Reaction score
Having had a bad experience with CSST, I'd go 1/2" black pipe & you will be fine. I usually follow guidelines, but have always felt that gas pipe sizing was over calculated.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks