Size of service entrance cable?

Users who are viewing this thread

Rdtompki

Reaction score
Is there a standard gauge for residential (overhead) service entrance cable? Seems like the gauge would have to be the same as the utilities overhead wire. I'm going to call my utility tomorrow to verify.

I don't know that it matters, but my breaker panel which is integral with the meter is 100 amps.

Rick

480sparky

In the Trades
Reaction score
If you are referring to the aerial wire that's between the pole and service entrance mast (commonly called "triplex"), power companies have their own rules to determine the size.

Rdtompki

Reaction score
PG&E refers to this wiring as the "service entrance wiring" which extends from the connection with their overhead wiring to the meter. Looks like the gauge is a local jurisdiction or NEC issue. I'll look at the NEC tonight and call the inspector tomorrow to verify.

Seems a bit strange that PG&E says "Weatherproof wire is not permitted in conduit" when this same wire is exposed from where it exits the service head to the connection with the utilites wire.

Rick

Alectrician

DIY Senior Member
Reaction score
I always wondered why they don't extend the triplex down the riser and land it at the meter lugs.

Here we must provide 2/0 copper (200 amp service) for them to attach their 1/0 aluminum. Maybe it gives the electrons an extra boost the last few feet???

Bob NH

In the Trades
Reaction score
POCO cable is completely the power company jurisdiction and is not based on the NECode.

From power company jurisdiction (often the short length exposed at the weather head) to the lighting and appliance branch circuit panelboards in a dwelling the conductor size is controlled by Table 310.15(B)(6). From that panelboard to any subsequent circuits including subpanels the conductor size is controlled by Table 310.16 and subsequent.

Table 310.15(B)(6) allows smaller conductors than Table 310.16. For example; 2/0 copper may be used for 200 Amp service conductors per Table 310.15(B)(6) but only to 175 Amps per Table 310.16.

Cass

Plumber
Reaction score
Years back we used to use URD between the meter socket and out the weather head. But they stopped the practice when they realized the insulation wasn't UV resistant.

It was faster and easier than service entrance cable.

Rdtompki

Reaction score
Thanks, guys.

I'm going to check the rating on my panel. It's got a 100 amp main installed, but if the panel is rated for 200 amp I may install service cable appropriate to that amperage (I understand the allowable 1 gauge de-rating) in case I ever want to upgrade the service. Would be a bit easier than going through PG&E again.

PG&E was actually very helpful. The guy I spoke with advised using Sch80 conduit, for example, as being easier than having to put a PVC cover on metal conduit (required in our jurisdiction). All my concern about using the exsting wiring was moot since I was going to have to upgrade from the weatherhead on down.

Rick

480sparky

In the Trades
Reaction score
You will also need to make sure the wire size is capable of handling 200amps, as well as the meter socket.

It would not make sense to install 2" conduit/weatherhead/hub, a 200a meter socket and 2/0 wire only to put in a 100a panel. My guess is you will need an entire service change.

KD

Reaction score
Residential sizes: #4 copper ( or #2 Alum.) for 100 amp, 2/0 copper (or 4/0 Alum.)for 200 amp. But some AHJs have outlawed Aluminum or want one size larger wire, so check with the local insp first.

Rdtompki

Reaction score
I haven't installed the panel yet. I'm thinking that the cost of a 200 amp panel and 15' of appropriate-gauge service cable is small provided the cable that PG&E brings to my pole is adequate gauge. Might as well go with the 200 amp. I'll verify the required gauge with my inspector.

Rick

Bob NH

In the Trades
Reaction score
HD sell a 3-wire 4/0 aluminum cable that is suitable for 200 Amp service entrance. It is a lot larger than the #2 aluminum that the POCO conntected to it when I installed it. You can put that 4/0 into a 2" conduit.

If aluminum is satisfactory for the POCO then it certainly should be OK for your inside work. They didn't use any antioxodant compound when it was installed and the connections are not covered with waterproof insulation.

A 200 Amp Load Center and a 200 Amp meter socket may have maximum size of 4/0 so you wouldn't be able to go larger.

KD

Reaction score
A few years ago Petaluma city outlawed installation all Alum wire, residential and industrial, but it is approved now. I think it was Newport Beach that wanted me to use #2 Cu instead of the NEC #4...many years ago. The point is check it out- whether upgraded or downgraded-local rules rule! I know the Code says you can only upgrade...but ...it is being done.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks