Sink drain problem

Users who are viewing this thread

Mikes97gts

Reaction score
So I am trying to move my sink drain up a but so my P-trap will fit under the new vanity. Well I had a hard time getting the cast iron pipe out, but I ran into a problem. It looks like someone put in a coupler instead of a reducer and put some kind of sealantaround the smaller pipe to make it fit. Now all the pipe does is spin and I cant get it out!!

View attachment 2012-02-20 17.07.12.jpg mail.google.com.jpg

Rexles

Reaction score
That fitting is leaded in to a hub on the cast iron pipe. If you want to take it out dig out the lead or drill it out. Under the lead is oakum, a rope type packing.

Mikes97gts

Reaction score
Ok so what happens with the pipe underneath the fitting? Is it usable? That is the pipe that goes into the ground.

Cacher_Chick

Test, Don't Guess!
Reaction score
If the fitting is turning in the lead, it is no longer sealed and could leak or allow sewer gas back into the house. What you should have done is cut the tee out with a saw and moved it to the needed position, without ever disturbing the threaded and leaded joints.

Now you will have to remove all the lead and oakum from the joint and find a proper rubber donut to seal a new pipe into the hub. (Unless you are up to reproducing the lead & oakum joint).

Mikes97gts

Reaction score
Well I was trying to get the threaded pipe out but as I was turning it the lead seal broke, so that is where this lead me... So I got it out and all I need is some kind of sealent to reseal? Know of anything at lowes?

Mikes97gts

Reaction score
Also do I just put a reducer on the bottom of the PVC I am replacing the pipe with and seal around that?

LiquidPlumber

In the Trades
Reaction score
Well I was trying to get the threaded pipe out but as I was turning it the lead seal broke, so that is where this lead me... So I got it out and all I need is some kind of sealent to reseal? Know of anything at lowes?

there is no sealant for this. you need what in my area we call a charlotte seal, others call a donut seal. the seal goes around the pvc pipe and fits inside the cast iron hub and seal the 2 together. Sometimes it all fits together real easily, but most times, its a very frustrating experience
Youll need the seal, some pipe lube, a big fricken hammer, a block of wood, and a well rounded vocabulary of swear words to complete the installation.
Good luck

Mikes97gts

Reaction score
Ok I will go get that today. Just a question though. What is the point of that fitting? Why didn't they just run the pipe straight into the ground? Is it some kind of venting thing or what?

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
I have no idea what you did, or are doing, but that coupling will just pull out of the lead joint once it is loosened, as will the one above it into the tee.

Cacher_Chick

Test, Don't Guess!
Reaction score
The pipe in the ground is hub and spigot cast-iron pipe which is not threaded.

The pipe in the wall is threaded galvanized pipe.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks