"Simple" kitchen drain question

Discussion in 'Plumbing Forum, Professional & DIY Advice, Tips & ' started by eddie813, Oct 29, 2004.

1. eddie813

eddie813 New Member

Hello, I've got a big problem and am a new homeowner (older house). I had to replace all my drain pipes underneath the kitchen sink. It has chrome
    1 1/2" O.D. drain pipes (double bowl sink with disposal). The problem is, there is 1 1/2" O.D. copper (well it looks like copper) coming out of the wall. How do I connect the two 1 1/2" OD pipes without soldering or anything? I can't find a connector that is 1 1/2" I.D. The previous owner had all copper drain pipes that were soldered. Can someone suggest a connector or other method to do this? Thanks for any input.
  2. e-plumber

e-plumber DIY Senior Member

Not so simple, huh? :eek:
    The pipe stubbing out of the wall should have a trap connected to it.
    The two pipes from the double sinks/disposer will join together with a (bafflle)tee fitting and connect to the inlet to the trap. The inlet to the trap should be either 1-1/2" or 2", a connection would be made with the proper size nut and slip washer.
  3. eddie813

eddie813 New Member

Yes, I have the t connecting to the trap, no problem there. The pipe stubbing out of the wall is 1 1/2" and doesn't connect directly to the trap, the first pipe after the pipe out of the wall is the 1 1/2" p-trap, which then connects to the trap. Since both the pipe stubbing out of the wall and the p-trap are 1 1/2" outside diameter, how do I connect them? Can you more specifically describe a connector fitting or other method to do this? Thanks for any help.
  4. hj

hj Moderator & Master Plumber Staff Member

pipie

You have to go into the wall and disconnect the connection that the 1 1/2" o.d. tubing goes into and start from there.