Simple carbon filter idea

Users who are viewing this thread

potroastman

Reaction score
I recently decided to stop buying the $45 water filters for my fridge, but now after a couple weeks I realize I am not happy with the water taste without the filter in place. I am thinking about buying a more standard (read: cheaper) 2.5x10 carbon block filter, mounted in the basement, which would feed into the fridge & ice maker. Much cheaper filter and also much larger and longer lasting.

I am wondering if it is possible or agood idea to put the filter in a place where it would also feed the kitchen sink cold water. I think I would enjoy the "cleaner taste" from the kitchen sink too, rather than just the fridge. I use that water for cooking, coffee pot, also home brew (which uses 2-3 gallons). I am pretty sure the kitchen sink is limited to 1.5 gpm by the faucet. And given I am happy with the water from the fridge filter, I think a simple carbon filter would be all I need. I am on city water. I have a water softener, but the cold line to the sink/fridge don't go through that.

Looking at the water lines in the basement, the same line does feed both the fridge and kitchen sink, so logistically it would not be too hard. I'd have to tap into pex water line, but it is easily accessible. This idea just popped into my head today, but I don't know if it's a good idea or not.

Last edited:

Mikey

Aspiring Old Fart, EE, computer & networking geek
Reaction score
Sounds like a good idea to this non-professional, if taste is your only concern, and the water isn't objectionable otherwise. In really bad municipal water, I'd use a backwashable carbon filter on the whole house, toilets excepted (chlorination in the toilets is a good thing). Then you'd be covered no matter where the water and your mouth came into contact. It doesn't take too long to realize the best time to plan all this is prior to construction :(.

Bannerman

Reaction score
As your concern is filtered water for drinking and cooking, I would be inclined to install a seperate low volume faucet through the counter adjacent to your regular kitchen sink. That way, filtered water is easily available but your filter capacity would not be utilized for washing hands, rinsing dishes and other routine water uses.

The faucet I'm referring to is commonly utilized for reverse osmosis filter systems but the faucets are sold seperately for the application as you are considering. I believe Home Depot, Lowes etc have them available.

As we utilize an R/O system, all of our water for human/pet consumption is obtained through that seperate faucet in our kitchen.

ditttohead

Water systems designer, R&D
Reaction score
The problem is flow rate and capacity. For carbon to be effective adequate contact time is very important. The standard filter size 2.5 x 10" is slightly undersized. You would be better off using a larger filter for the application. The cost would not be too much more. Just stay away from the no name filter systems typically sold by the big box stores. Especially the ones they sell under their own brand. Stick with names like Pentek, Omnipure, Matrix etc. The majority of the low cost filters are made in China, and I was a purchaser and QC guy for many years with these imported filter elements. I would avoid them from my personal experience of working and visiting with the manufacturing facilities.

potroastman

Reaction score
What do you think about the Dupont one for about $15.. it comes with the wrench and mounting bracket. I had been looking at Pentek but this one comes with the extra pieces. I'll probably hook it up for fridge only.

Last edited by a moderator:

Smooky

In the Trades
Reaction score
I have a 4.5 X 20 filter for a whole house filter. I change it once a year and sometimes go 18 months.

Here is one that is half that size. For an Ice maker it should last a long time.

Filter housing for 10 Inches Long x 4.5 Inches Wide Filter
http://www.waterfilters.net/hd-950-1-wholehouse-filter-system.html
Mounting Bracket
http://www.waterfilters.net/pentek-wb-ss-filter-mounting-bracket.html
10 Inches Long x 4.5 Inches Wide Big Blue Water Filters
http://www.waterfilters.net/10-inch-big-blue-water-filters.html

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks