Shut off valve stuck

Discussion in 'Plumbing Forum, Professional & DIY Advice' started by blitziger, Jul 11, 2010.

1. blitziger

blitziger New Member

Jun 29, 2010
    Portland, OR
    Does anyone know how this valve operates. It controls our lawn sprinkler system and I trying to turn it on for the first time, but I don’t want to force it too much for fear of breaking it. It won’t move when trying to turn it either clockwise or counter clockwise. It has just a little bit of play which you can move by hand.

Attached Files:

2. Ian Gills

Ian Gills Senior Robin Hood Guy

Jul 24, 2007
    Robber, with some DIY on the side.
    Looks like my gas valve. Are you sure that is for a sprinkler?
  3. Sponsor

Sponsor Paid Advertisement

4. shacko

shacko Master Plumber-Gas Fitter

Jan 22, 2006
    Master Plumber-Gas Fitter
    Rosedale, Md
    It should turn 90deg. to the left, probably corroded, like the other post said make sure it's not a GAS valve in case you break it. :eek:
  5. nhmaster3015

nhmaster3015 Master Plumber

Jul 30, 2008
    The granite state
    It's a 1/4 turn valve and they usually are a bit tight. Use a bigger wrench
  6. hj

hj Moderator & Master Plumber Staff Member

Aug 31, 2004
    Cave Creek, Arizona
    With that "lock tab" it looks like a water meter valve, but in any case it opens by rotating counterclockwise.