Shut off valve for wall-mounted faucet?

Discussion in 'Plumbing Forum, Professional & DIY Advice' started by Boo, Aug 18, 2010.

1. Boo

Boo New Member

Just wanted to confirm that a shut-off valve is required when installing wall-mounted bathroom sink faucet. I'm quite sure it's "yes," for obvious reasons (working on plumbing without having to shut off water main), but why aren't they required for pot-fillers over the stovetop - or are they required there, as well? Haven't decided whether we're going with a true vanity/vessel sink combo (whereby a valve wouldn't show) or a pedestal sink - then we have to pick an attractive vessel sink drain/shut-off kit.

Thanks. :eek:
  2. Boo

Boo New Member

Oops...once I posted this, I got some other hits with similar question. I'd be interested in feedback nonetheless!
  3. jadnashua

jadnashua Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx

Not sure if it is required, but it is sure a lot more convenient!
  4. hj

hj Moderator & Master Plumber Staff Member

I have NOT installed any so far, and no inspector has even asked for them. My opinion they are no different than a tub/shower valve which also do not have them.
  5. Boo

Boo New Member

Thanks! That's our rationale for not installing one.
  6. Ian Gills

Ian Gills Senior Robin Hood Guy

I have fitted shut-offs to my tub and shower and I'd probably add them to that sink as well. Just 'cos an inspector does not ask for them, doesn't mean that they are a bad idea.

If all I did was the minimum to keep the inspector happy, my house would be falling down!
  7. Boo

Boo New Member

We usually do more than is minimally required in our home improvement projects, but I just can't seem to find a shut-off valve that doesn't look like it should be hidden under the toilet or behind a cabinet! With all of the high-end improvements we've made, I'd like it as clean-looking as possible. But your point is well-taken.

Thanks everyone for your advice!
  8. hj

hj Moderator & Master Plumber Staff Member

Very FEW installations have "valves fitted to the tub/shower valves". They either come with integral stops, and those are few and far between except for certain multifamily installations, or they do not use them. I cannot remember the last one I installed which had integral stops. But I DO remember the last one I worked on which had integral stops which were inoperable, which is usually the case.
  9. Winslow

Winslow Plumber

I pipe from the wall mount faucet down and turn the piping out high under the cabinet/ counter, then install male adapters (either sweat or compression) after the cabinet/counter is installed, then connect with a flex just like a reg faucet. It is very convenient and as long as you have your elevations down you can make it look very neat/ proffesional.
  10. Ian Gills

Ian Gills Senior Robin Hood Guy

They do some nice looking angle stops as well. I like the ones Terry uses on here, but I can never seem to find them.

For the tub/shower I just solder on a couple of Apollo ball valves leading up to the valve, all hidden by the access panel.