shower valve -- do i want screwdriver stops?

Discussion in 'Shower & Bathtub Forum & Blog' started by remodelbob, Jan 22, 2008.

1. remodelbob

remodelbob New Member

what are they? I can't seem to find a definition anywhere.

I am looking at potentially using one of these for my shower.

K-304-K Less Screwdriver Stops
    K-304-KS With Screwdriver Stops

Also, do I just cap off the bottom since it is a shower only?

Thanks.
  2. jadnashua

jadnashua Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx

The integral stops allow you to shut off the water to the valve for service without turning the water to the house off. You turn them on/off with a screwdriver which means they can be more compact since they don't need a handle. This is especially handy if you then decide you need to go out for parts to fix it. Watts makes some designed for thsi that can be added to any valve during installation..getting them installed from the manufacturer means one less thing to do if you do want this feature.
  3. markts30

markts30 Commercial Plumber

In short - YES...
    Should you have tos ervice the valve in future, noo need to turn off house and bleed system...
    Great idea to install them now...
  4. hj

hj Moderator & Master Plumber Staff Member

stops

They are a convenient way to service the faucet, IF they are still working when you need them, AND the person servicing the faucet knows they are there. In most cases the valves are calcified so they will not turn the water off. And since most valves can be serviced without removing the large trim plate, the plumber will seldom find them or even want to use them since it is easier and safer to turn off the entire house. That way there is no chance of the integral stops starting to leak after he has used, or tried to use, them.
  5. remodelbob

remodelbob New Member

good points. you just saved me a six pack of beer. swing by and i'll share it with you.
  6. Redwood

Redwood Master Plumber

But seeing as it is a Kohler K-304 and The escutchen does come off to fix it they will be seen. One thing that happens with kohler is you sometimes have to wait for parts. sometimes several weeks. I would get the stops and hope they work, when the part takes 3 weeks for kohler to ship it rather than have a house with no water. Personally I wouldn't install a kohler valve given the choice.
  7. Cass

Cass Plumber

I am with Redwood.

I wouldn't use Kohler.

Stick with Moen or Delta due to the ease of finding repair parts anywhere, even some grocery stores carry seats, springs, and cartridges.