Shower Valve Assembly

Users who are viewing this thread

DJL

Reaction score
I'm a homeowner and I'm installing a Sterling Accord shower in my basement. It's a four piece unit - a base, a back wall, and two side walls. A plumber installed the water lines and what I think is a Delta multi choice universal valve for this shower. I say *think* because he left a delta trim kit (model T13420-PD) and that package says it fits the multi choice universal valve. The plumber also installed the cartridge into the valve body. The supply lines are PEX.

The vikrell (fiberglass?) shower panels are recessed in about 1.5". This means that the whole valve assembly will have to be protruding 1.5" out from the face of the studs in order for the black plaster guard on the valve body to be flush with the back of the fiberglass shower panel, is that correct?

The valve assembly is fairly stiff, so in order to accommodate this 1.5" recess, it seems I can

a) force it...that is put tension on the copper pipe
b) loosen the wooden backer holding drop ear elbow and change the angle by a degree or so
c) loosen the screws slightly holding the drop ear elbow just enough to allow the assembly to bend

Would any of these work? Or is there a better solution?

IMG_0024.JPG

FullySprinklered

In the Trades
Reaction score
Any of the three would work. I would do C. Then attach the valve to the shower wall snugly, then put a small shim behind the drop-ear el up top. Tighten the screws. You'll want to keep the valve level with the world so that it doesn't point upward and goober up the installation.

DJL

Reaction score
Any of the three would work. I would do C. Then attach the valve to the shower wall snugly, then put a small shim behind the drop-ear el up top. Tighten the screws. You'll want to keep the valve level with the world so that it doesn't point upward and goober up the installation.

Thanks fullysprinklered...yes, keeping the valve level is one of the things I was concerned about here. I'm thinking that once the escutcheon plate is screwed down tight that it will probably be ok, but I just wanted to get input from this forum first.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks