Shower tub faucet control

Discussion in 'Shower & bathtub Forum & Blog' started by mattt19, Feb 11, 2008.

1. mattt19

mattt19 New Member

I'm redoing my bathroom and am picking out the faucet style for the tub/shower. Are there any benefits to using a single control vs a three handle tub/shower control. Is one likely to last longer and cause fewer problems?thanks

Matt
  2. hj

hj Moderator & Master Plumber Staff Member

valve

It is getting to the point where three valve faucets will no longer be acceptable by the building codes because of pressure balancing, and/or temperature control, requirements.
  3. jadnashua

jadnashua Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx

Put another way, your inspector probably won't allow a three-handle mixing valve on a remodel. Codes require anti-scald which can be done with a pressure balanced valve or a thermostaticly controlled valve. While more expensive, I prefer the thermostatically controlled ones - set it to your preference once, and only touch the volume control. Another thing, a pressure balanced valve typically only has on/off/temperature - it has no volume control if that is a factor for you. Normally, that isn't a big deal as you typically fill a tub or shower at max volume, but it can come in handy at times.