Shower tub faucet control

Discussion in 'Shower & Bathtub Forum & Blog' started by mattt19, Feb 11, 2008.

1. mattt19

mattt19 New Member

Dec 22, 2007
    I'm redoing my bathroom and am picking out the faucet style for the tub/shower. Are there any benefits to using a single control vs a three handle tub/shower control. Is one likely to last longer and cause fewer problems?thanks

2. hj

hj Moderator & Master Plumber Staff Member

Aug 31, 2004
    Cave Creek, Arizona

It is getting to the point where three valve faucets will no longer be acceptable by the building codes because of pressure balancing, and/or temperature control, requirements.
  3. Sponsor

Sponsor Paid Advertisement

4. jadnashua

jadnashua Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx

Sep 2, 2004
    Retired Systems engineer for defense industry.
    New England
    Put another way, your inspector probably won't allow a three-handle mixing valve on a remodel. Codes require anti-scald which can be done with a pressure balanced valve or a thermostaticly controlled valve. While more expensive, I prefer the thermostatically controlled ones - set it to your preference once, and only touch the volume control. Another thing, a pressure balanced valve typically only has on/off/temperature - it has no volume control if that is a factor for you. Normally, that isn't a big deal as you typically fill a tub or shower at max volume, but it can come in handy at times.