Shower screeching noise after diverter is lifted.

Discussion in 'Plumbing Forum, Professional & DIY Advice, Tips & ' started by quinndesign, Oct 28, 2004.

1. quinndesign

quinndesign New Member

I have a Delta single-handle shower that is making a loud screeching noise shortly after lifting the diverter. Typically the noise begins a minute or two after lifting the diverter and persists for the duration of the shower. The noise can be lessened by slightly lowering the diverter, or even just jiggling the diverter.

None of the other faucets in the house make any noise. It seems to be unique to the shower and only occurs when using the shower not when using the tub.

This is a fairly recent problem and it occurred out of the blue.

Any suggestions?
  2. e-plumber

e-plumber DIY Senior Member

It sounds like you isolated the source of the screeching to the diverter.
    I would suggest replacing the bathtub diverter, whether it's a diverter spout or diverter valve built into the valve body.
  3. hj

hj Moderator & Master Plumber Staff Member

hj

When mine did it it was the water coming out of the shower head. In that case, either live with it or reduce the pressure in the house.
  4. jadnashua

jadnashua Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx

Mine did the same thing after it got older. The cheap rubber washer in the tub divertors gets a little hard after awhile and no longer makes a good contact/seal. It vibrates. That washer may be replaceable. It may be easier to replace the spout. Not a pro...
  5. quinndesign

quinndesign New Member

New diverter did the trick

on your advice I replaced the diverter and presto! no more sqweal. Thanks for the help.