Shower Plumbing Question

Discussion in 'Shower & Bathtub Forum & Blog' started by az1324, Nov 18, 2008.

  1. az1324

    az1324 New Member

    I'm replacing a tub with a shower and plumbing the drain. I am removing the reducing tee and using a 2" drain instead of the 1.5". The drain, however is situated directly above a joist and there isn't room to place the p trap in that spot. The joist has already been notched, and I do not wish to notch it any further to avoid completely compromising its integrity.

    So can I just elbow over and up from the p trap using 2 90 deg fittings? Just want to confirm that this is ok for proper drainage.

    Edit: Ok that's not really helpful as an elbow takes up just as much room vertically as a p-trap. What I'm gonna do is 22 up from the tee and 22 back to horizontal then the p trap will be raised above the joist and be just low enough to make the connection. Sorry for wasting a thread. Delete if desired.
    Last edited: Nov 18, 2008
  2. Redwood

    Redwood Master Plumber

    Yes, you can offset the drain to the trap as you indicate.
  3. hj

    hj Moderator & Master Plumber Staff Member

    Cave Creek, Arizona

    A 45 and a street 45 might be better.
Similar Threads: Shower Plumbing
Forum Title Date
Shower & Bathtub Forum & Blog new shower plumbing Apr 5, 2014
Shower & Bathtub Forum & Blog Mystery shower plumbing Nov 13, 2013
Shower & Bathtub Forum & Blog Bathtub/Shower plumbing question... Oct 11, 2013
Shower & Bathtub Forum & Blog What do I need...Plumbing fixtures for shower/tub Oct 10, 2013
Shower & Bathtub Forum & Blog Plumbing Shower Valves Aug 9, 2013

Share This Page