Shower pipes came unanchored

Discussion in 'Shower & bathtub Forum & Blog' started by rpclmc, Mar 17, 2007.

1. rpclmc

rpclmc New Member

A couple of questions;
    1) I think my shower pipes have become unanchored. How do I determine if this is the case before tearing out the wall? When turning on the shower it runs fine and makes no noise for about 3 minutes and then starts banging very loudly. I have seen no evidence of any water leaks. We do have hard water.
    2) If I do have to tear out the wall to get to the pipes; how do I remove a cultured marble piece without destroying it in an effort to reuse it? It is one piece about 4 feet wide by 5 feet tall.

Linda
  2. jadnashua

jadnashua Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx

What kind of shower control valve do you have? Sometimes, if it has a washer in it, those can be a little loose and vibrate. It may be as simple as replacing the washer.
  3. rpclmc

rpclmc New Member

I don't know what kind of control. I was kind of messing with it today (jiggling it - you know the girly kind of fix) and it seemed to get better. So maybe that is it. I will have my husband look at it when he gets home.

Thanks for the quick reply.

Linda
  4. hj

hj Moderator & Master Plumber Staff Member

valve

One handle shower valve or two handles? You describe the type of problem that can happen with a two handle valve.
  5. rpclmc

rpclmc New Member

It is one handled shower control.

We have taken 2 showers in there with no noise, so hopefully it was just an air bubble that worked its way out. I am keeping on eye on it to make sure it doesn't leak.

Linda