Shower pan question

Users who are viewing this thread

wallzzzy

Reaction score
I used to have a really nice walk in shower in my master. Too bad the floor sloped a bit the opposite way of the drain, which also happened to stick up over the tile a bit. So now it's bare walls and concrete floor. Pretty sure there was a bathtub originally as the drain is pretty close to the wall. The drain was adapted down to 1 1/2 in. and moved out a little bit as you can see by the hole in the floor.
If I decide to use a linear drain, can I patch that hole, put in liner, and just slope a mortar bed towards the drain? Thanks.
_lw6jPVE-GJSc4D8E7xRfUPNhVel6a1Ai4nhlD0JLUQU5ReAMNT0SYlpHNLoi7O4RVKgoF3LrFmPbmDKs2QOv2oFA7XAJ92WSHncweoz_cwKsN2rS8-5XNRY6pwGM_EMt-dESZynfSaX9tp5ByHKh9AnVnQhBmn9ZJVQI6WbAGPcm_HJ-WymBBlLk3ncAWmeBDV2g2JNyfHy0yRHMmuBHLJ53RACKSgfiyrKM3pCE3-j-W4GsBssQ7aLrLY5pU4feYuriUP4uA9SF5aY3ueVElMCxQUFuw1yCzQJOATl4xHl891ZdmuEP8llK5I98HNx_4S4TnezQbc4O4JoOudcemlfH9Y83e4fwAOuqX_M-cnRzsy8z6AJWge-LMCKp1JXCw8GWxfEegZ_Ww2J6QRZDPBgpZzARw_JiZGOLkJzrNTJ3IwZLjA4Mvk-dtiwqAqCQKvuhpKtKYRcQQQvD3ecea6uDjGl307kpdUZyGkCiPe81Qd1gogwWGrOp9qWEEtdHKdPP5SP7ZLj2tWRXr_gY-D7X5a4vBSWh3CwukchIgF1n7tePzg6ZNe1nSndouGJsnn-kqOhiLxjUFxvdQkKQ6CBsLzj2kxg85vLSAjaoaiwthZGH9Q7=w500-h887-no

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
In the USA, code calls for a 2" drain line (minimum) for any shower (a gang shower or a 'car wash' with lots of spray heads could call for a larger one!). Most linear drains have their outlet centered...some offer it with the outlet offset to one side...if you go custom ($$), they can put it nearly anywhere you want. Typically, you'd have your drain essentially butt up against one wall, but you could slope it from two directions if you want.

If you have a 2" pipe below, you'd want to cut it back to where you can connect 2", p-trap, and riser, and in the process, probably can adjust things to get the riser exactly where you want. You really want to ensure that the riser is exactly plumb, and exactly where you want it for the drain you select.

Once you have the plumbing issues resolved...I highly suggest you discuss the shower build over at www.johhbridge.com where that's about all they do (well, anything related to tiling, but lots of showers). That's where I learned much of what I know...then, used that in some projects that came out well.

wallzzzy

Reaction score
Thanks, that extension is attached to the p-trap. I can't find my channel locks to try and get it off though. Hoping I don't have to go further down and cut anything. Thanks for your help.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks