Shower Framing Repair

Users who are viewing this thread

larryh

Reaction score
I recently tore out the tile from a 50 year old, 3' square shower and found dry rot in the bottom 2' of the 2X4 framing. The wall with the shower head is also the exterior wall of the house (it's a single level house with a low pitched roof) and I can see that one of the roof trusses ends and rests on this wall. This is a small section of the wall but does it still need to be supported while it is being repaired? I'd also like to know if the bottom two feet can be just cut out and how to repair this or should the entire framing be replaced. I'm planning on using plastic or fiberglass panels for the new shower. Thanks in advance for your advice.

Cacher_Chick

Test, Don't Guess!
Reaction score
I would install a new stud right next to the bad one, or for a belt and suspenders approach, a new stud on each side of the bad one.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks