Shower Drain

Users who are viewing this thread

cicerored

Reaction score
Does it mater where the shower drain is placed? I am thinking in relationship to the shower head. I see center, left, right in pans. It seems like being furthest away from the shower head would be best to me, so the soap/water run away from you.

Master Plumber 101

In the Trades
Reaction score
Placement should not be that critical as long as there's proper pitch going to drain. For look's try to center it, or center front.

USAflag.gif

Union Made!

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
For best looks, the bottom row of tile should all be the same height. The minimum slope to the drain should be 1/4" per foot. If the drain is the same distance (i.e. centered), then the total drop would be the same, and the tile would be even. When you move the drain off-center, the long distance still needs to be 1/4"/foot, so on the short side, the slope must be greater. If you move the drain too far off center, that slope on the short side can get pretty steep. If you make that side also 1/4"/foot, it will be lower than the long side. That makes tiling it much tougher (use smaller tile) and potentially slipperier (the smaller tile have more grout lines which give you more grip which helps). So, when the shower is not square or if the drain is not centered, you will have different slopes to the short and long sides...you don't want the slope to be too great.

For good help on tiling check out www.johnbridge.com.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks