Shower Drain Too High

Discussion in 'Shower & bathtub Forum & Blog' started by tlcfromep, May 22, 2005.

1. tlcfromep

tlcfromep New Member

OK, so I don't have a lot of experience with plumbing so I hope there's a simple fix for this and I just don't know it! I just bought a house and the previous owner had the bathroom completely redone. There was no shower there three years ago so I know everything is new. The problem is that she tiled the floor once and then tiled over it...now the new tiles will not stay in place. Every time I use the shower (which has been about 5 times...thank goodness there's a separate tub!) grout and adhesive come up between the tiles. I would most like to remove the entire second layer of tiles (because the first layer is the exact same tile) but then the lip of the shower drain is about 1/4" above the floor level, meaning there'd be water standing on the floor. Any suggestion, anyone? Thanks.
  2. hj

hj Moderator & Master Plumber Staff Member

tile

I don't know, but if the shower is less than five years old and has had two layers of tiles in it already, I would suspect that the entire installation is a DIY "nightmare" and may have to be torn out and redone.